M31 Andromeda Galaxy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Bearcat replacement recommendation needed

Started by Lee_S, 05/01/2011 11:48AM
Posted 05/01/2011 11:48AM Opening Post
Long, long, ago, pre-9/11, my wife and I had a Bearcat scanner that was about $99 from Service Merchandise. It was good for listening to fire department calls, some of the local police departments, and the state police. It didn't pick up aviation for some reason. Post 9/11, the police departments started securing the communications and going to frequency hopping schemes that the Bearcat apparently couldn't match.

Can anyone recommend a good hand-held scanner in the $100-$200 range that would keep up with frequency hopping, let us tune back into the police, and provide a bit more to listen to?

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 05/01/2011 06:04PM #1
Lee Spain said:

Long, long, ago, pre-9/11, my wife and I had a Bearcat scanner that was about $99 from Service Merchandise. It was good for listening to fire department calls, some of the local police departments, and the state police. It didn't pick up aviation for some reason. Post 9/11, the police departments started securing the communications and going to frequency hopping schemes that the Bearcat apparently couldn't match.

Can anyone recommend a good hand-held scanner in the $100-$200 range that would keep up with frequency hopping, let us tune back into the police, and provide a bit more to listen to?

Hi Lee

You may get what you want with the internet--

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/

If your area is being monitored, then you can receive scanner on your computer, or iphone, or whatever.