Ham Radio at Star Parties

Started by jmcarp, 10/25/2006 08:16PM
Posted 10/25/2006 08:16PM Opening Post
It's been too quiet here lately, so I'll start a new thread. How many of you guys bring along HF or VHF/UHF gear to star parties to fill the daytime hours, and what do you use for gear and antennas? This is a good way to test that go-kit for emergency comms or Field Day and to be sure everything is in good working order.

Anyone have photos to post?

Jim
WD5BKO
Posted 10/25/2006 09:53PM #1
I'm just a short wave listener, but I've been known to bring various radios to star parties. Places that are dark also tend to have little electrical noise.

One year I brought a Racal 6790gm and a Standard Str428 to Stellafane - the forecast wasn't good.

Now, I have an AOR 7030+ that's been customized for camping and vacations. It's in a custom cabinet and It's got two racal crystal filters, two 14.4v sets of nimh battery packs (total of 12 hours listening per charge), an Avantek 30db preamp, and a rapid charger inside.

It out performs all but one of my rack mount receivers. (Nothing I've tried can beat my Harris RF-550)

For an antenna, I normally use a 3 meter govt surplus whip. It's got an impedance matching transformer and attaches with a 1/4-20 thread to a photo tripod. Often as not, the tripod ends up on top of the van I take.

Posted 12/05/2006 06:08AM #2
A bit late on this post but...

I've taken VHF transcievers for 6 meters and
Amateur Satellites via tripod held Arrow Antennas.
DC to light handhelds to monitor Weather broadcasts.

The Sats bring in interest from the rest of the star party goers since they tend to observe satellite passes especially Iridium sats.

TonyF
K6ALF
Posted 01/12/2007 02:28PM #3
I have a setup I always take with me ( I had it at Cherry springs Mark ) it includes a Icom 706 mk2G, SGC auto tuner, power sypply VHF/UHF ant and 60'of wire 30' for each side of the tuner, rope & a sling shot to get it up. The setup works great from 160-440. I take it with me all the time, even when i go over sea's and am staying in one place for a time. their was never question about it before 9/11 but now man o man they make you go over every little part. I call it my spy kit.

Bob

R.A.C. Advisory Committee
NEAIC Co-Chairman
NEAF Advisory Committee

http://www.deer-pond-observatory.com
Warwick, New York
41.15984 -74.2541

[B]Takahashi MT 160

10" F4.5 Newt 8O
R200SS grin
Some kind of 127mm APO

Orion Atlas EQ-G
Losmandy G11 with Gemini
iOptron Mimi Tower
iOptrom Cube Pro

Meade DSI PRO II 8O
SBIG ST-10ME
Image Source 21AU04.AS

Posted 03/17/2007 06:12PM #4
I usually bring to Stellafane my Yaesu FT7-B low band rig along and work 75/40m mobile while on my way to Springfield, Vermont. Also bring my Icom IC-502 3w 6m SSB rig and try to work any 6m qso's while there in the evening (especially if it's cloudy). Who knows might work some of you this summer. 73 - Dave KW1V