New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Best Science Fiction novelist ever?

Started by Doug Peterson, 01/17/2008 04:52AM
Posted 01/17/2008 04:52AM Opening Post
My vote: Arthur C. Clarke

Your vote?

"--Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be ... limited to our own galaxy."
Posted 01/17/2008 12:01PM #1
Posted 01/17/2008 03:19PM #2
I have to say I am quite partial to H.G. Wells. For the time, his writing is astounding and quite visionary.

Cheers,
Phil

Williams Optics 66mm Petzval
Orion Skyquest XT6 Classic
Nikon D40 DSLR

http://theguvnah.blogspot.com
Posted 01/17/2008 11:01PM | Edited 01/17/2008 11:02PM #3
Doug Peterson said:

My vote: Arthur C. Clarke

Your vote?

I've read Clarke---The "Rama" Series was truly fantastic! Heinlein never really interested me but Asimov's "Foundation" novels were great. The best sci-fi? There's sooo much good sci-fi to read that it can be a little intimidating going to the bookstore nowadays. I read a lot of short stories and novellas too.

Two more recent writers that can keep up with those above are Peter F. Hamilton and John Scalzi. Hamilton's "Pandora's Star" is the first in a planned trilogy (over a thousand pages!). Absolutely the best sci-fi I've read in twenty years. Highly recommended. Scalzi begins with "Old Man's War," much shorter and an easier read but you'll thank me for the recommendation. It's funny, violent and thought-provoking all at the same time.

Jeff
grin

Posted 01/18/2008 12:57AM #4
Clarke, pre-Rendezvous with Rama only.

Joe Bergeron

Moderator, Astro-Physics Forum
Posted 01/19/2008 09:04PM #5
And another vote for Heinlein!
Posted 01/20/2008 04:07AM #6
Ray Bradbury. "The Illustrated Man" and "Martian Chronicles" are two of my favorite Sci Fi books. 8O

10" Teleport (R2D2 Jr.)
Celestron Evolution 60th Ann
Canon IS 10x30 bino
Starbase80
E.S. Voyager
Explore Scientific ep's
Wonderful Rescued Greyhound  grin
(Understanding Wife)  wink 
Posted 01/29/2008 11:07AM #7
Keep this old thread going a little while longer whilst I submit my nominee : [COLOR="Red"]Jack Vance[/COLOR] .
Does he qualify ? As I bought all the Vance books I have from the 'Science Fiction' section of the bookshops I've entered over the years I'd suppose he does .
I've got a cupboard full of SF from youth . Nearly everything that Asimov , Clarke and Heinlein wrote with a smattering of others here and there . I enjoyed them then but , strangely , I don't now . Occasionally I'll pick one up and have a go with one or the other , but give up after a chapter or so and wonder what's changed in me that I can't engage with the magic that once held me in thrall an age ago .
The exception to that is Jack Vance . His early work : 'The Dying Earth' and onwards is , for me , the best sort of story telling . I won't quote titles as there's so much of it , but his later stuff ( ...off the top of my head this ) - not as compelling as his more pithy '50's and 60's stuff .
Yes , when I'm not reading the papers about the big hole this society seems to be falling into , Jack Vance can pull me out of it and take me elsewhere in an instant .