Image of the day

Captured by
Victor Tellez

NGC7000 (the North America Nebula)

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Do you really, honestly believe in life out there?

Started by Peter Glus, 01/29/2008 01:48AM
Posted 01/29/2008 01:48AM Opening Post
I do. I am just curious, with so many of us staring at the heavens, what percentage believes this as well...
Posted 01/29/2008 01:53AM #1
I do.... way too many systems out there for us to be THE ONLY ONES "ALIVE".
Life doesn't necessarily have to be LIKE us... 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 01/29/2008 02:06AM #2
If there is no other life, then that would be a totally unbelievable scenario to me. smile

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 01/29/2008 02:36AM | Edited 01/29/2008 02:36AM #3
Considering the innumerable possible locations, yes. However, then the odds drop considerably from that point for "intelligent" life to exist. That being something taking on the curiosity and ability to proceed in a similar process such as man. Will there ever be "contact"(communication). Doubt it. The distances are insurmountable. The time frame involved would never allow us to realize the answer. We can only communicate on a rudimentary level with the lifeforms existing on earth. Do the math.

I Yam What I Yam!
Posted 01/31/2008 09:24PM #4
No. I do not really believe there is life out there.
However, I do really believe that there MAY be life out there.

The geology of Titan is enough to support the hypothesis that there is life out there. There are so many interesting environments in the universe and there are so many stars and planets available that there is a strong probability that life could have evolved elsewhere. However, since we don't have directly observable evidence of alien life, we can't believe in it.

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 02/15/2008 10:22PM #5
Watch out for Jarts- arthropod-like creatures that believe that God intended only their kind to live in the universe. Their jihad against multiple realities makes the current geopolitical mess seem like 2 year olds playing in a sandbox.

Yikes!

Jess Tauber