IC4073 Eagle Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Good Short Stories for a Movie

Started by AlanFrench, 01/22/2008 11:51PM
Posted 01/22/2008 11:51PM Opening Post
I was always a huge fan of short stories, and many seem ideal for movies. What short stories would you like to see on the big screen?

Generally, novels get trimmed down a bit too much to make a good movie, at least in my view.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 02/02/2008 05:15PM #1
That Larry Niven story where the astronaut comes back insane ... turns out the entire planet was an ocean of human bodies being bred for consumption by an alien civilization that would visit periodically for a harvest.

"--Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be ... limited to our own galaxy."
Posted 02/02/2008 08:23PM #2
One of my favorite collections of short stories is Larry Niven's DRACO TAVERN, about a guy lucky enough to be the first human contacted by an ancient race who want him to build a Tavern/Port in the cold north - a kind of a truck stop for all manner of intra and intergalactic travellers, shippers, explorers and whatnot.

The tavern is built to accomodate the most outlandish of biological and not so biological forms - the section on the restrooms is hilarious. The Tavern stories would actually make a terrific half hour sitcom. A weird new alien arrival each week, with its attendant history or story played out as a show within the show.

-P. S. Walsh