This Island Earth, the novel

Started by Doug Peterson, 12/25/2008 05:56PM
Posted 12/25/2008 05:56PM | Edited 12/25/2008 05:57PM Opening Post
The movie has the distinction of being the first hollywood flick to deal with interstellar travel. One of my favorites and a classic. Nevermind the MST3k version, it was making fun of a movie that was half the length.

I just read the novel, and it is superior in many ways, far more detailed, quite different from the flick, and is frankly a whole new experience. Raymond F. Jones wrote some interesting stuff, but this may be his best. At points the writing is somewhat poetic, as when he describes a war on a galactic scale where the inconceivable vast energies twist space and time, turning spacemen "into screaming things that will live forever." Thumbs up.

"--Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be ... limited to our own galaxy."
Posted 12/27/2008 03:40PM #1
Thanks for the heads up! I enjoy the film.

...read the novel, and it is superior in many ways, far more detailed, quite different from the flick, and is frankly a whole new experience.

This is true for a couple of John Wyndham novels as well. Day of Triffids and The Midwhich Cookoos. The latter was titled Village of the Damned, and had some pretty bad sequel(s). Both books were different, and significantly better than the films IMHO.