Image of the day

Captured by
Paul Walsh

Wet beak - he had just skimmed the neighbor's pond.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Stolen in Portland, OR: Homemade 80mm Refractor in

Started by astrobug, 12/10/2004 07:04AM
Posted 12/10/2004 07:04AM Opening Post
I just wanted to inform you about my "grab & go" scope that, along with some accessories and tools, was taken from my garage in northeast Portland a while back. I'm not exactly sure when the items were stolen (my best guess is sometime between mid-October and mid-November, 2004 based on when I last used the drill and when I noticed everything was missing.

The telescope is an 80mm f/7 in a Bird's Eye Maple wooden tube, with a gray 2" focuser, tube rings, mounting plate, solar filter, all in a small blue padded Orion case. Also taken was a black and yellow toolbox of accessories (cords, various power supplies, adapaters, etc.) for my Meade LXD-75 mount, and a DeWalt 12V XR Cordless Drill/Driver in its case. I'm guessing that the thief was alone and on foot (based on the size and hand/shoulder portability of all of the items). You can see pictures of the scope and drill and details about what was taken at the following web address:

http://home.comcast.net/~astrobug/stolen.htm

We've checked with several nearby pawn shops and all of them say that they haven't seen the telescope/wouldn't take it if they had. I think local astronomy community would be the most likely group of people to run across the telescope/accessories, so if you could keep an eye out for it and get your astronomy friends to be on the lookout for it, I would appreciate it. If you do come across any of these items, please notify the police and then myself (phone number is 503-737-1521, ask for Brett). I can't offer much in the way of a reward, but I do have a brand new Meade 26mm Super Plossl eyepiece that I will gladly give to the person that provides information leading to the recovery of these items. (I am most concerned with recovering the telescope, since I'm not in a position time- or money-wise to replace it right now. I do have other scopes to use, so it could have been worse, but it's still a bummer.)

FYI, There is a similar telescope out there (an 80mm f/7 in a wooden OTA with a _black_ focuser that I made prior to making this one) which I sold a few years ago to a David Schaeffer in St Paul, Minnesota, and assuming he still owns it, I think he would probably not appreciate being accused of stealing this one.

Thanks.

-Brett
--

Attached Image:

astrobug's attachment for post 20707