My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Terry Friedrichsen

April 16, 2005 05:55 AM Forum: Takahashi

old vs. new part numbers?

Posted By Terry Friedrichsen

Is there a conversion chart somewhere to convert the 4-digit part numbers on the ATWB web site to the 5-digit part numbers on the Tak system charts?

For instance, on the Sky 90 system chart, the extension tube DT is shown as part #TKP22005, but on the ATWB site, that part is listed as TKP0950.

In this particular case, it's easy to match 'em up, but a fair fraction of the time, it's not so easy to discern exactly to which part a number refers.

Thanks.
Terry

June 16, 2006 09:42 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

ISP outage

OK, this isn't really a FAQ ...

But with regard to the potential outages announced today, I have to say that if your ISP tells you your web site is going to experience outages, but won't tell you why and can't give you estimates of duration, you should find a better ISP. This is especially true for a large commercial web site like buytelescopes.com, where web site downtime means lost revenue.

Just my $0.02.

Terry (astrotrf)

June 23, 2006 10:45 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

No Daylight Saving Time here

At the bottom of the classified ads listing pages, it says:

"All times are adjusted to your timezone setting ..."

and that appears to be correct except for the fact that the times
are adjusted for Daylight Saving Time. When I "Click here" to edit
my settings, I don't see a selection for turning *off* DST adjust-
ment (Arizona has so far successfully resisted this abomination).

Am I missing something, or do I just have to suffer? :-)

Terry (astrotrf)

August 8, 2007 12:40 AM Forum: Mounts

GOTO fork

I'm looking for a small GOTO fork mount. The idea is for it to carry a camera + lens and an STV autoguider for long-exposure photography while I'm busy with other scopes at the observatory. The location will be a bit inaccessible, so I want a GOTO mount so I can aim and fire via computer from the observing floor.

Because this is wide-field, I don't need G-11 or better quality. What I'm really looking for is something like a Byers-geared C-8 mount, but with GOTO and autoguider capability.

Does anybody have any good suggestions?

Thanks.

astrotrf

April 19, 2010 05:08 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

accidental double-tap

I hope I'm going about this correctly -- the "Help" link at the top of the classifieds page points to this forum ...

I just placed an ad (#679717) and opted to pay a 10-spot for 60 hours of featured placement. However, in a browser hoseup, I lost it after I'd confirmed the $10 purchase (but before the ad was actually placed) and had to restart. This caused me to have to accept another $10 charge for the featured placement. So, through a foulup that was strictly on my end, I've been dinged twice for this ad.

If there's a way one of the charges can be backed out, that'd be great. Otherwise, I'll just beat my Mac about the head and shoulders and call the extra $10 a donation to Astromart.

If this forum isn't the right shoulder to cry on, please let me know.

Thanks.

April 20, 2010 07:43 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

auction vs. best offer

First, let me state that my family is in the auction business; I've worked a lot of auctions myself, and I know *exactly* what an auction is.

My intention is to post an ad asking for "best offer over $X", and I keep getting dinged for posting an ad that's really an auction. But this is NOT an auction; it is, in reality, a sealed-bid sale.

I have reworded the ad, but it does not now express my desired intent NOT to simply accept the first offer of $X that comes along. I've seen numerous ads that say "best offer over $X" or "I'll collect offers for a week and accept the best one", and I don't understand why I am being prohibited from doing the same.

I respect Astromart's right to run the site and enforce the rules as they see fit, and it is always my intention to comply with Astromart's desires. I just feel as though my ad is being singled out here ...

February 20, 2007 10:39 PM Forum: Astro-Physics

Pure sex - the setup

Roland Christen said:

Here is the setup: 155EDF, F5.3 TCC, STL11k, all mounted on the Mach1 mount, Eagle 1 Pier.

Rolando

Impressive setup, Roland. Now if you'd just let me *buy* a 155EDF ... grin

August 8, 2007 12:59 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

New AP 130...Any word???

Timothy McDougall said:

Anyone hear about a release time yet for the new 130? [ ... ] I understand the list starts around Nov.1999...

Yeah, and I'm at February of 2000, hoping this is my year. But I really want the older 130, so I'm hoping I can find a trader.

Terry (astrotrf)

April 21, 2010 06:59 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

auction vs. best offer

Let me approach this from a slightly different direction. Suppose the item being sold is, in some way, unique, such that there is really no market-analysis way to determine a fair sales price. By "fair" here, I mean not just fair for the buyer, but fair for the seller as well. In such a situation, how is the seller to go about setting an asking price?

One way to do this would be by auction. The seller can put the item up for auction with an extremely high (and secret) reserve price and let the bidding begin. But lots of buyers do not like auctions because of the "can you top this" atmosphere and the mounting pressure as the close of the auction approaches. Further, lots of buyers do not like reserve auctions because of the game of repeatedly inching up the bid in the hopes that the "reserve not met" banner will finally come down -- but in this case, the banner "won't" come down. The seller has placed a high reserve on the auction because the seller has no way of determining the market price in advance. Indeed, this situation often results in angry buyers, which is no good for the seller at all.

Now it's all well and good to say "set the reserve at the minimum you will take for the item", but that's forgetting that, in this situation, there is no a priori way for the seller to determine the fair market value. Remember that we want to determine a price that's fair for the *seller*, too, not just the buyer.

A much better procedure, and one that's often used in such cases, is the sealed-bid sale. Prospective buyers submit one and only one bid, unknown to all other buyers, at their leisure and prior to some deadline. There is none of the emotional pressure of an impending deadline and none of the frustration of seeing "reserve not met" as you raise your bid higher and higher trying to make it go away. The seller then either accepts the highest bid or rejects all bids -- no pressure, no frustration, no anger.

That's why I (and others before me) opted for a "best offer over $X" type of ad. Astromart has declared such ads to be out of bounds, and that gets no argument from me -- their site and their rules. I'm just pointing out here that a reserve auction is a poor substitute in such cases.

April 28, 2010 01:53 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Is this something new?

Well, it depends on your defnition of "normal", I guess. But I've seen this before; it's a way for the recipient of the message to screen incoming mail and build up a "whitelist" of allowed correspondents. I use a whitelist myself, manually maintained, and I've probably missed some messages I would really rather have accepted. This is an attempt to solve that problem.

It makes contacting someone the first time kind of a PITA, for sure, but in a day and age when you can get *hundreds* of spam messages every day, there really are no ideal solutions.

In the end, you just have to decide whether your desire to contact this person outweighs your aversion to filling out forms (I have a pretty *high* aversion to filling out forms, myself, but I have a lot of sympathy for those who are trying to rid their lives of spam, too).