My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Glenn Smith

April 9, 2002 05:22 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Best 7x50 Binoculars for Astronomy?

Posted By Glenn Smith

What are the best 7x50 binoculars for astronomy?

April 9, 2002 05:37 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Type 6 Naglers

Posted By Glenn Smith

I am interested in getting 2 or 3 of these. I already have a 7mm Nagler type 1 and a 4.8mm Nagler type 1. I was thinking about getting the 13mm type 6 and the 9mm type 6, and possibly replacing the 4.8mm type 1 with a 5mm type 6. Has anybody done a direct comparison side by side of the 4.8mm type 1 and the 5mm type 6?

May 4, 2002 06:35 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Brandons

Posted By Glenn Smith

Has anybody here had any experience with Brandon eyepieces? I have read what Ed Ting says about them, but I would like to see what others might say who have used these.

Thanks,

Glenn

May 4, 2002 06:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Brandons

Posted By Glenn Smith

Has anybody here had any experience with Brandon eyepieces? I have read what Ed Ting says about them, but I would like to see what others might say who have used these.

Thanks,

Glenn

May 9, 2002 04:46 AM Forum: TeleVue

Genesis SDF vs TV-101

Posted By Glenn Smith

Has anybody compared these 2 scopes side by side? If so, can you visually really tell any difference between the two?

Thanks,

Glenn

May 9, 2002 09:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

MN61 Mirror Problem

Posted By Glenn Smith

My Intes MN61 has some type of nearly football shaped defect in the mirror about 1" across and it is adjacent to the center portion of the mirror. I can't really notice it hurting performance except when trying to view Jupiter and Saturn. The view of Jupiter is accompanied by some type of flare and I can't make out the rings of Saturn at all. Any suggestions on how I can either get this mirror fixed, repaired, or replaced?

Thanks,

Glenn

May 11, 2002 06:38 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Caps for eyepieces

Posted By Glenn Smith

Where can I get caps for 1.25" eyepieces?

I have sometimes used 35mm film cannisters as plugs in 1.25" diagonals and focusers, but I would like to know where I can get decent plugs for these as well.

Thanks,

Glenn

May 12, 2002 03:40 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Virus Warning!!

Posted By Glenn Smith

Earlier today I received an email from Ryderc1 with the title "Decision is easier and its not AP!" This message contained a virus that apparently sends itself to everybody on your mailing list (you don't even have to send the email because it does it automatically for you).

If you get any email from someone that you don't know with an attachment, don't open it. If you get an email from me WITH an attachment at any time in the near future, don't open it.

The only reason that I posted this message here is because the title of a thread on the Equipment Forum is the same as the title of the email with the attachment which contained the virus.

BTW, does anybody know who Ryderc1 is?

Clear skies,

Glenn

May 26, 2002 08:03 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Best 10x50 Binoculars for Astronomy?

Posted By Glenn Smith

I really appreciate all the great comments made on the "Best 7x50 Binoculars for Astronomy?" thread. If you haven't read that thread, I recommend it.

In the book BINOCULAR ASTRONOMY by Crossen & Tirion, they say in the preface that 10x50 binoculars are probably the "ideal" astronomical binoculars and that their book is slanted toward use of that size instrument.

My first question is: in your opinion or experience, what are the best 10x50 binoculars for astronomy?

My 2nd question (not as important to me) is whether you agree or disagree with Cross & Tirion that 10x50s are the "ideal" size astronomical binoculars?

Feel free to address either or both of these questions.

Thanks for the comments in advance.

Glenn N. Smith

June 24, 2002 07:58 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Favorite Birding Binoculars

Posted By Glenn Smith

What are your favorite binoculars for watching birds and why?

Thanks for responses in advance.

Glenn