My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Visser

December 5, 2003 12:18 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fraud case resolved ***** WHEW*****

Posted By Mark Visser

Man you must be jumpin for joy, and have a horseshoe you know where. Quick buy a lotto ticket while the lucks with you!

Great to hear when it acually works out..

Mark Visser

February 5, 2004 07:35 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

For anyone still waiting for their 102F6

Posted By Mark Visser

That's what I ended up doing...Giving them a call after call after call after call after call.... Nah just kiddin it only took three calls. Once to give them my credit card info.Two ( a week later )to find out they decided to wait a week for the dovetails to come in.. Three after I noticed the dollars were taken off my credit card... Did it actually ship yet?? They said it did but who knows..

But I do know this. At 150.00 it is just as good optically as any 102 f6 out there ( even after I take the baffle out). You would be hard pressed to beat the price.. And even if I leave the baffle in.. you'd be hard pressed to find a 90mm like the Orion short tube 90 for 150.00 with very little color which I hear the final version of the Burgess achro has... Very little color.

So all that to say this.... Yes Burgess business practices are sometimes on the border of absurd but I'm in no hurry so it doesn't really effect me. I do feel sorry for the folks that it does affects.

Mark Visser

February 7, 2004 07:31 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

102F6 on its way..

Posted By Mark Visser

Jon,

You can e-mail me separately if you'd like but I am really interested in the 130f5 comparison..

I myself will be comparing it to the original prototype and the Orion 100 f6 from memory.

My 102f6 was mailed on Jan 26 but no sign of it yet. But it was mailed airmail instead of Fedex because of custom problems.

Thanks

Mark Visser

March 5, 2004 10:08 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: Burgess Scopes

Posted By Mark Visser

Mark, I did a copy & paste of my answer on the yahoo group for the benefit of those here.

I did not like the restriction so I took the baffle out and flocked the inside with black felt from walmart.

With the Baffles out you will get what is to me a very intrusive yellow halo around the bright objects such as Jupitor. Saturn was less but still there. With the moon it didn't bother me. However I knew that would be the case before I took the baffle out. On Deepspace objects such as the Orion Nebulae or the Pleades there is no offensive color and you wouldn't know what the heck Bill B was talking about.

I then made an aperature stop at 90mm and 80mm.. Each reduced the yellow halo significantly.. but not all.. I made another aperture stop at 70mm but didn't get a chance to use it as clouds rolled in and haven't left yet... I suspect that the 70mm will get rid of all the color which leads me to beleive that with the baffle in place the
effective aperature is around 70mm.. No Theory just what I see.

The one thing I haven't tried is widening the baffle to 2"5/8 and putting it back in.

The bottom line is this. If you want to take advantage of the full 102 aperature on deepspace and still want to look at planets then take the baffle out and just use aperture stops.

If you are mainly looking at planets and look at deepspace
occasionally leave the baffle in.

One warning... if you attempt any of this then please please please watch out for the grease on the threads of the focuser.. And be real careful when screwing the focuser back in as it seems pretty easy to
crossthread.

Hope this helps..

Mark V

March 7, 2004 06:06 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess Mag tripod & eyepieces

Posted By Mark Visser

Mike, I too have the mag tripod... I really liked it but have only compared it too normal photo tripods and the Orion plus tripod..

It will hold the 102 anywhere you want it no problem..

Looking forward to your review as I haven't seen any besides my own posted on the yahoo group.

Mark V

March 7, 2004 06:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Extreme Makeover Home --Meade

Posted By Mark Visser

yup I saw it too.. That's gonna be one disappointed kid in about a week or two...

I told my wife it had to be a fake no one would be that stupid.... or would they???

I am glad they helped a family out and gave the kid a job though. ( if it's real??)

Mark V

March 28, 2004 02:48 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Any News on the New Objectives?

Posted By Mark Visser

What losses?? I would still buy my Burgess 102 f6 for 150.00.. The fine focuser and diagonal are just bonus to me. And if the objective comes in.. I'll wait a bit to see the first reviews and then get one.. If not I still have a great scope..

No losses for me....

Mark V

March 30, 2004 01:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Konus or Orion

Posted By Mark Visser

I know this doesn't help matters much but Skywatcher just came out with some new ones.. 90,102 & 127... Starting at 275 Canadian...

Fyi

Mark V

April 1, 2004 09:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

FedEx International Fees

Posted By Mark Visser

I would send it airmail... Much cheaper and the person on the other end won't be charged a high brokerage fee by Fedex..

Both Fedex and UPS have high international brokerage fees for the recipients.

Mark V

April 6, 2004 09:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

It ain't purty, but it works

Posted By Mark Visser

You could paint stars and galaxies on the inside for that 3d effect !!!

Gotta love it !!

Mark V