Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

AR 2773 from Lake Ahern Observatory

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Visser

November 10, 2003 01:47 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Newbie Question

Posted By Mark Visser

Hi all,

I'm new to binoviewers and was wondering if someone could steer me in the right direction..

1. Do all binoviewers work with all telescopes??

2. if not how do you know which binoviewers work with which scope??

IE: I may be looking for one that would work with my 12" f5 dob and a ( if it ever gets here) Burgess 102f6 refractor.

Any good sites to start with??

Thanks

Mark V

February 17, 2004 11:50 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

102 specs

Posted By Mark Visser

I don't know about some of you But I for one appreciate all comments as it is through conversation that various ideas and facts develope. ( Even if you have to do a lot of wading)

I had originally posted a great review of the 102f6 prototype and have repeatedly touted that the color beats out the Orion and Skywatcher 100 f6's.

Now I find out the reason is baffles.... I have pulled my review of the prototype as that scope is no longer in existance. And I will now stop comparing to the other 100f6's. Bill did offer these "AS IS" at a discount with no price difference if we waited for the new lense. Example we pay 150.00 now to play with the scope for a while and when the new lense come in we pay another 100.00 for a total of 250.00 or we could just wait and pay the 250.00

The specs have now all changed and I really don't know what the heck to compare it too..or if it's even fair to a review on a discounted scope?

By the way... Has anyone checked the baffles in the Synta's?? (Grin)

Mark V

February 18, 2004 08:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

refractor star test question

Posted By Mark Visser

What does it mean when inside focus you get nice circles and outside focus it's all blurry. It doesn't seem to effect the view any...

Thanks

Mark

March 9, 2004 06:30 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: Bill Burgess, get back to basics.

Posted By Mark Visser

As far as the original 102f6 goes I don't think Bill is using that company anymore.

Mark V

March 10, 2004 12:15 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

discovery

Posted By Mark Visser

I was just reading the equipment talk forum... Looks like Discovery is having a similar timing problem...

Mark V

April 7, 2004 07:59 AM Forum: Telescope Making

center spot a diagonal

Posted By Mark Visser

Hello all,

Could any one point me to a link that shows how to center spot a secondary mirror on a dob?

Also how to square up a focuser??

I saw the directions somewhere but can't remember anymore..

I don't have any lasers but I do have a chesire.

Thanks

Mark V

April 23, 2004 01:01 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess Finder

Posted By Mark Visser

Some have referred to it as a joke... May I ask Why?? Sure it has a plastic lens cell but the views are really good.

I just made a slight mod to mine... I put in new cross hairs ( thicker ) and they show up great..

The six point alignment didn't seem bad at all.. Of course once lined up I just leave it and only tweak it once in a while..

The position on the 102f6 doesn't bother me either. It rather works out well but I view with my left eye..

The views actually seem better than the typical synta's.

So I'm not trying to start anything but I "am" curious..

Any thoughts??

Mark

April 27, 2004 07:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

HELP!!! A SPIDER !!

Posted By Mark Visser

OK lesson learned... NEVER leave the cap off the diagonal on your scope ! Now I've got this stinkin spider who has decided to make a home inside my 102 f6 refracter. It has decided to lay eggs on the inside of the objective lens..

Now taking apart the scope and getting the spider out is easy... however the question is how or what do I use to clean the inside objective with?? Would just soap and water clean the sticky junk off??

Talk about extra terrestial beings while trying to view Jupitor !! ( grin )

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mark Visser

April 28, 2004 01:34 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess 20 x 100

Posted By Mark Visser

Just ordered a pair of these from Burgess for 99.00... Couldn't resist.... He still has this special on for a while if you want to get a pair... They should be delivered in about a month..

Mark V

May 6, 2004 01:12 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

A little help please..

Posted By Mark Visser

As some may know I had several spiders inside my scope messed up the inside of my lense forcing me to take out the objectives and clean them.. All that is done and everything is back together but something is not right. A star test shows an oblong circle which usually means astigmatism, which leads me to believe I didn't align the two lenses together properly.. ( I tried loosening and tightening the retaining ring which didn't seem to help )

1. Is there an easy way to just rotate the top lense without taking it all apart again? ( Maybe loosen the retaining ring and move with my hand wearing latex gloves?)

2. Is there some type of false star I could set up say 20ft away so I could test and know if at least I'm headed in the right direction?

3. I did collimate so that only one reflection was showing but I did it by adjusting the focuser..

It originally tested with a good circle before I took it all apart...

Any help would be appreciated....