My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Visser

May 13, 2004 07:39 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

had to laugh

Posted By Mark Visser

I went to the Burgess site and read the info on the 1026 and just had to laugh.. literally...not mean spirited but honestly funny..( tears rolling down my eyes even... and please take this as humor. This is a direct quote.

Quote:
"This is the first in a series of fine achro refractors. If you have been looking for a high quality Achro for a reasonable price your search is over!!! You could pay 5-10 times as much and still not match the construction. OTA shown on the GEM 1 mount (available separately)."

Jon... I'm sorry if I'm laughing at your expense as I seem to have gotten a good one... but the line : "You could pay 5-10 times as much and still not match the construction." I couldn't help but think what you must be thinking when you read this.. and laughed myself silly..

Please take this as good humored and not mean spirited as this is not my intent.. Bill should probably take the reference to the 1026 off line now....

Mark Visser..

May 18, 2004 07:45 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

irritated by clouds

Posted By Mark Visser

Man, I don't know about the rest of you but I'm really getting irritated here in Southwest Ontario Canada... Nothing but clouds and crappy seeing..

The only good thing is that in between the clouds I have been able to see comet Neat with my Burgess 15*70 bino's.. Nowhere near comet halebop but "neat" just the same smile

Is it just an odd year of rain & clouds or what sad

Mark Visser

May 31, 2004 09:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fake Bills

Posted By Mark Visser

Ok... So I'm talking to this guy who tells me he's been requested to "re write" a bill to get it by customs and he's had to say no...

Then he tells me he "has" written fake bills so husbands can get it "by" their wives..( look honey it was only 50.00) I laughed myself silly then kicked myself for never having thought of it..

Anyone else do something like this??

Mark Visser

June 2, 2004 07:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

barlows

Posted By Mark Visser

I know that the Celestron Ultima, Orion shorty plus and Meade #140 are pretty much the same.. I've tried these already.

But... is the 1 1/4 Televue Powermate 2.5 much better... meaning is it worth the extra?.. Is it 10% better for twice the cost???

Also: What is just the plain televue like compared to the above???

If I've missed something you could just refer me to some comparison reviews or other posts.

Thank you kindly

Mark Visser

June 8, 2004 06:34 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

2 inch diagonal reviews??

Posted By Mark Visser

Any one have any reviews yet???

Mark Visser

August 31, 2004 08:13 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron 102GT

Posted By Mark Visser

Does anyone know if the Celestron 102GT uses the same mount and tripod as the Celestron 80GT?

I was thinking about the 102GT but didn't want to end up with too small a mount.

Thanks

Mark Visser

September 2, 2004 08:17 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

tests

Posted By Mark Visser

Has the 93mm flourite been tested yet??? If the weather was bad has it at least been tested with an artificial star?? I'm not looking for any "looks nice but didn't get to look through" comments..

My apologies in advance if the results were buried somewhere in that last thread and I missed them.

Thanks

Mark Visser

September 22, 2004 08:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Zoom eyepieces

Posted By Mark Visser

In some books we are warned to kind of stay away from zoom eyepieces. But over time things change...and the books may be outdated now...

Have the newer Zoom eyepieces improved ? How are they compared to a celestron ultima or something ? Do they ghost easier?

Thanks

Mark Visser

October 6, 2004 07:47 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Latest news on binoviewer??

Posted By Mark Visser

As I understand it... these were shipped out last week.. Has any one received theirs yet?? First impressions??

Thanks

Mark Visser

October 12, 2004 06:15 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Trust??

Posted By Mark Visser

I had this posted once but pulled it.. After some thought I am re-posting it because I think it needs to be said.

I think for me a lot of the issue is trust…. Let me give you some examples…

1. A long time ago Bill was going to offer the 102f6 and mount for 199 U.S. per my discussion with him on the phone… then it all started to slowly change as Bill began to realize that he couldn’t do it and then it became just the scope.
2. I pulled my original review of the prototype as the production scope was no where near what the prototype was and let’s just say I was very naïve about baffling.
3. I ordered the premium binoviewer which is now scrapped and supposedly going to be made by Thomas Back if it is made… ( The original had problems with the collar??)
4. I ordered a pair of 20x100 bino’s.. the ones Bill offered for 99 at the star parties.. For some reason there is a prism problem and Bill doesn’t know when it will be fixed… I cancelled my order.
5. I ordered a 4 inch mak for 99.00… The company Bill was getting them from supposedly sold them to a Larger company and left Bill hanging…. I cancelled my order.
6. Same thing with the goto mount as in 5 above ( only I didn’t order the mount )
7. I was told by Bill the new Binoviewer would work with maks and refractors… However in other forums I only hear of not having the correct adaptors but no official night reviews.
8. He did offer me the new Binoviewer with 2 eyepieces for 150.00 ( the original was for the same only 99.00) so my half off coupon became 25% off.

Guys…. I think I’ve been pretty patient but as you can see a lot of what I ordered just did not come into “being”. So when Bill says he is going to make something of a certain quality you have to know I’m thinking “ ya right” “I’ll believe it when I see it”..

I thought Bill had learned his lesson with the 102f6 but as you can see it happened with the Bino’s the Binoviewers , and the 4 inch mak.

I am not upset at Bill but I have had a couple of years of experience with him and advise to proceed with caution…

Like I said for before….it’s partly a matter of trust…..Bill seems to be overly enthusiastic about some of his products……

Clear Skies

Mark Visser