Posts Made By: Mark Visser

October 14, 2004 02:45 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

93mm flourite

Posted By Mark Visser

ummm.... What ever happened to the independant reviews of this scope.. It is here right??? I don't think the bad weather has lasted this long. Was the prototype with the confused lense arrangement that bad that we are now awaiting the production model reviews??

Ok... I'm being facicious grin but I really would like to know.. 8) Last I heard Thomas Back had it to review??

Thanks

Mark visser

October 27, 2004 06:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dilemma

Posted By Mark Visser

mmmmmm Do I watch the Boston win tonight which will be the first time since 1917?? So that would be once every 87 years or so Or do I watch the Lunar Eclipse which is twice a year.... mmmmmmm....

Mark Visser

December 22, 2004 04:00 AM Forum: Religion

suicide

Posted By Mark Visser

If suicide is a sickness and I did it would I still go to heaven??

mv

February 17, 2005 08:47 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

color correction

Posted By Mark Visser

When manufactures mention color correction like 8X color corrected on refractor lense what exactly are they comparing the color correction to?

Lets take synta as a comparison for example.

1. Best of the bunch achromat
2. an average achromat ?
3. Below average achromat?

Because of quality control your going to get quite a variety of amount of color in a normal achromat.. what are they comparing to?

And then go a step further... Synta's 100f6 ed says "Zero" color while Burgess 101f5.5 says 8 times color color correction.. Both use fpl53? glass.

Thanks

Mark Visser

February 18, 2005 05:38 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Color Correction

Posted By Mark Visser

When manufactures mention color correction like 8X color corrected on refractor lense what exactly are they comparing the color correction to?

Lets take synta as a comparison for example.

1. Best of the bunch achromat
2. an average achromat ?
3. Below average achromat?

Because of quality control your going to get quite a variety of amount of color in a normal achromat.. what are they comparing to?

And then go a step further... Synta's 100f9 ed says "Zero" color while Burgess 101f5.5 says 8 times color color correction.. Both use fpl53? glass.

Thanks

Mark Visser

March 28, 2005 04:34 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Re: BO 102 f/6

Posted By Mark Visser

Hey Matt: ummm actually Bill still insists that the fine focus knob is included and is the final stages as we speak.. He even has a picture of it on his yahoo site.. So no false advertising on Herb's part there..

And Bill either wasn't honest/or was ignorant about the aperature until someone else happened to find out for him. Again if you follow the posts on the yahoo forum from the start you will see he was warned many times about the aperature..He didn't listen and the people who warned him were shut out..Main thing is to take the rear baffle out if you don't like the 92 or 80mm or what ever it is.

This is all old hat and people have been incorrectly called bashers for always bringing it up correcting others.. For example if you never posted your original comment I wouldn't have needed to make mine to correct it.

Neither Basher or cheerleader with a 101 on order. grin

Mark Visser

May 6, 2005 01:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Yikes! Burned out focuser Cap

Posted By Mark Visser

Respect the Sun!! and don't get careless like I did!!

I was only viewing the sun for about 15 minutes with my 10" dob ( with filter in place )but had to go. I quickly took out the eyepiece put on the focuser cap, took off the the filter, and put the caps on the eyepiece. All of a sudden I smelled burning plastic. I looked up and it was coming from my focuser cap. I had obviously not turned the scope away from the sun and the sun was burning a hole in my focuser cap. I quickly took off the focuser cap and let my scope air out as it was full of smoke.

So many nightmares could have happened out of this escapade. What if I had gone to the garage to put the eyepiece away and my daughter had walked up taken the cap off and looked in.
( even though they know better)

It was a matter of seconds before the focuser cap had a hole in it.

Thanks goodness the lesson I learned didn't harm anyone. I'm usually really safe but man just one slip up and.......

Just thought I would pass on my mistake to others as a reminder.

Mark Visser

May 11, 2005 08:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tectron / Catseye for collimation

Posted By Mark Visser

If you could only buy one or the other which would be better, the Tectron set or the Catseye?Or neither? Is there something else I should be looking at getting?

I use a laser now but am always in search of newer and better ways.

Thanks

Mark Visser

February 7, 2006 09:21 PM Forum: Politics

OIL SHORTAGE??

Posted By Mark Visser

This week, Exxon Mobil Corp. and Chevron Corp. reported combined profits of nearly $50 billion in 2005.

Do you really think an oil shortage is driving the prices of gas upwards?? Maybe maybe not..

We should be screaming give us our money back !!

April 29, 2006 01:12 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

65mm .. seriously

Posted By Mark Visser

What can you really do with 65mm ?? I may as well just take out my 15*70 bino's??

I've sold many short tube 80's because I thought they would be good for camping but with an 10" dob at home it just aint't worth it...

So ... as a serious question... what is the attraction???