My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Visser

June 15, 2006 12:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dob Mirror Question

Posted By Mark Visser

How long does the coating on a standard factory made dob mirror last given normal conditions... You can use an orion xt 10 or Hardon as an example.

thanks

Mark V

July 24, 2002 07:24 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Eyepiece Question

Posted By Mark Visser

Are you looking for a 2" or 1.25"???

There are some new 2" Skywatcher eyepieces out now that are supposed to be good on dob's.. They are about 100.00 Canadian. They come in 28mm, 35mm and 42mm. They are supposed to compare with a konig.. For a low power eyepiece I don't think you can beat the price..

Has anyone else reviewed or tried these yet???

Mark Visser

August 23, 2002 06:33 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Last Question....maybe

Posted By Mark Visser

Hi Tom,

I was in the same boat you were in not too long ago.. I wanted it all.. I first bought a good pair of binoculars so I could research scopes. After researching it became quite evident that astrophotography would be way out of my budget. It also became quite clear that I would need more than one scope... I ended up buying an 8 inch f6 dob to satisfy my deep space curiosity. I just absalutely love it and I don't think I will ever sell it. I have lots of trees around my back yard so my wife bought me a nice big wagon with air tires to cart it around with.
My next step is to buy a refractor on an eq with a motor drive as a second scope. ( next year ). I intend to do a little astrophotography with it. ( The pictures won't be great but my intention is to learn with it). Then maybe in two or three years the competion for Apo's will have driven the price down and who know's what kind of mount for astrophotography the makers will have come up with by then.. mmmmm maybe ccd imagers would be down in price too???

Get yourself a scope with enough aperture and learn the sky. It will soon become apparent what type of objects you favor and what you don't. ( It became evident right away that I prefer galaxies and globulars )Scopes don't lose that much in value especially if you buy used. Then you could get a scope geared to what objects you like to take pictures of the most and it will have given you time to read and research all you can about astrophotography and maybe get to some star parties and look at some other setups.

Good Luck and sorry for rambling.

Mark v

August 23, 2002 07:49 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Barska 15x70mm or Barska 12-36x70mm

Posted By Mark Visser

Hi,

I've tried Galileo 10 - 30 x 60 zoom binoculars... I didn't really like them.. at 10 x 60 they were ok but really darkened up when I used the zoom to 30x. They worked great during the day though.. just not for astronomy.

I own a pair of 15 x 70 barska binoculars.. When I got them and tried them I was seeing double stars from miscollimation.. I went to cloudy night sight and got the collimation to the "bear" bino's ( made by barska )... it was really easy to collimate...

From what I've heard it's next to impossible to collimate a zoom binocular without professional attention....

I personally would stay away from a zoom unless your using them for daytime use.

Just my humble opinion from the one pair I tried out..

Mark V

August 27, 2002 01:14 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Custom ground lenses for binos

Posted By Mark Visser

mmmmmmm never thought of that route before. I wonder if you could get eyepieces custom made the same way ???? Any one try that approach????

Fellow astigmatism sufferer..

Mark V

August 27, 2002 06:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

need a professional opinion.....

Posted By Mark Visser

There is also an upgraded Orion XT8 on astromart you may want to look at???

FYI

Mark V

September 4, 2002 12:15 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Viewing in Michigan Last night

Posted By Mark Visser

Hi Daryl

I'm from Chatham, Ont Canada..... 45 minutes from Detroit.

Your right! The skys were really clear last night ( for around here anyway). I was viewing from my backyard in the heart of the city. I could see m51 with my dob but only with averted vision.. The dumbell and ring stood out better too... I was only out for a couple of hours but it was awsome.... I was thinking the same thing you were " tonight's gonna be great"

Have you seen the comet hoenig yet? I tried last night but no luck.

Mark V

October 1, 2002 01:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

8" or 10" Dobsonian

Posted By Mark Visser

Hi Pete,

An 8 inch is still a lot of scope and fairly easily to handle... I bought the 8" skywatcher with the tension handles from Joe O'neil... It's a great scope... The inside is painted flat black, the inside of focuser is flat black. The end cap comes with at least a 2 inch aperature mask. It holds it's collimation really well ( I bought in June and still haven't had to touch it).. these are just a few of the NON advertized features... Canadian price was around 550.00 including tax.. (350 American )Also exchanged straight through for right angle 9 x 50 finder free of charge and had a chesire collimation tool thrown in..

At that price you would have room for a nice two inch eyepiece to boot !!

If your from out West then Manoj Sood is good to deal with along with TELHOON.

OF course if you have the money and strength then aperature always rules. The 8 inch Skywatcher is just another good alternative to think about is all.

JUST my 2 cents

Mark V

October 1, 2002 10:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where to get a decent right-angle finder?

Posted By Mark Visser

First of congratulations on moving to a right angle finder. It is money well spent!!!

You may want to try O'neil Photo or Hands on optics. E-mail them the model of your scope and I'm sure they could fix you up just fine..

Mark V

October 3, 2002 08:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Decided on and bought a scope...

Posted By Mark Visser

Hey guys,

Should I tell Pete about the accessory addiction to come yet???? NAAAHHH.... ha ha

Enjoy your new scope Pete !!! I switched from a cheap 60mm refractor to an 8 inch and noticed a huge difference !! Yours will be even bigger !!! Enjoy !!

Mark V