My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Visser

June 2, 2003 04:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Collimation Craziness

Posted By Mark Visser

May I suggest just being patient and waiting for a clear night.... collimate with the laser then test on a star.. If test is good then you will know for sure... Unless you test on a star the rest is just theories and guess work.

Mark V

June 9, 2003 06:52 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

trade AR 5 for 1026

Posted By Mark Visser

If that was a stellarvue I might be tempted!!

Mark V

July 16, 2003 02:49 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

PLEASE STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Posted By Mark Visser

Ah come on!!!! It was getting to be better than Jerry Springer there for a bit!! Grin Grin...

Mark V

July 22, 2003 08:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Center Spot a Mirror?

Posted By Mark Visser

Here is a different way...with 2 elastics

Your mirror has 4 clips with 2 screws to each clip...

Think of the clips as at 1 o'clock (screw 1&2) 3 o'clock (screw 3&4) 6 o'clock ( screw 5&6)and 9 o'clock (screw 7&8)

put an elastic accross from screw 1 and 5 then put another elastic across from screw 3 and 7. Where they cross is your exact centre..Just put a dot with a permenant marker to mark the spot then put on a cirle paper washer.

I have used this method to check the factory center spot and someone elses center spot on a used scope..

Works great

Mark V

July 23, 2003 04:48 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Some ads make me laugh

Posted By Mark Visser

I just assume someone "gut busted" by the wife patrol

Mark V

August 3, 2003 01:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

any opinions on...

Posted By Mark Visser

I started out with an 8" skywatcher .. and now have moved up to a 10".

The 8" in my opinion is almost the perfect scope to start with... Very easy to use.. light enough to carry around, no learning curve in regards to the mount..etc etc..

They also show decent views of the planets and also gives great views of DSO.... It lets you get a taste of everything...

When you find yourself liking a certain type of object then you can move to a scope that will suit you better to that type of seeing... Ie: Bigger dob for the galaxies if that's what you like... But that's for much later..

The 8" is a lot of scope and will give you views to last a lifetime... and you may never need to buy another scope again..

just my .02

Mark V

August 19, 2003 08:41 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Scopes Out of Customs???

Posted By Mark Visser

Did you really hear this or are you just fishing??? heh heh

Mark V

August 21, 2003 12:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anyone Else Having trouble with Mars??

Posted By Mark Visser

I'm Viewing from Chatham Ont Canada About 45 minutes east of Detroit Michigan.

I'm having the same thing.... a Week or two ago it was easy to see detail.... The last few nights it's been tedious... The cap is easy but I have to look really hard for detail...

This applies for both the Orion st100 refractor and the Orion xt10 dob..... I thought it was just me but am kind of relieved to hear others are having problems too..

My biggest problem is ghosting.... I'm using a light shield, have flocked the inside of the telescope, have flocked the focuser and still I have ghosting in the xt10. I assume it is because the planet is getting so bright as it wasn't like this a few weeks back.

Mark V

August 22, 2003 07:21 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

I just finished my 10" reflector

Posted By Mark Visser

That's a great looking scope!!!! You must be real proud of it!!

Have you had a chance to test it yet...... I'm kind of interested how the Burgess Mirror performs...

thanks

Mark V

September 9, 2003 04:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best telescope ever?

Posted By Mark Visser

Used to be my 10" Orion Xt but I just sold it.. so as of this coming Saturday it will be the Skymentor 12" dob..

Mark V