New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Klarmann

April 10, 2002 10:56 AM Forum: Telescope Making

focuser install questions

Posted By George Klarmann

Hi all
I will replace the focuser on my 12.5 dob with another one soon. the uppper cage is sonotube- Are there any tricks to ensure proper alignment of the new focuser that someone is willing to share? I think the current focuser is properly aligned, and I was thinking about removing the secondary mirror and marking a spot on the far wall of the tube with my laser and using it as an alignment mark for the new focuser (both focusers are 2 inch format). does this sound reasonable? thanks
george

July 24, 2002 10:54 AM Forum: Telescope Making

source for cage rings?

does anyone know of a source that makes custom sized upper cage rings (for a routerless person!)?
thanks

August 14, 2002 08:16 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Disappointed with Starmaster scope

Hey phil
I respect that you have a right to your opinion, but I see no reason to air it out on this forum. I've had 2 different ELs (not ELTS) and they have been great. The oak construction is very solid and there is barely any flexure, I even had my 10 up to 500x on Mars and the image was rock steady- this would be impossible if the scope was as bad as you say it is. Maybe you got screwed. Maybe someone made a 15 min copy of a starmaster and put all the labels on! Since you are in business yourself, you just generated a lot of negative publicity. Thats my opinion. One thing about Starmaster, they never critize the 'other guys' who build scopes. They have more class than that. I obviously don't!
George

September 17, 2002 08:01 AM Forum: Eyepieces

apogee widescans

Hi everyone
Can anyone tell me from experience how the widescans perform in an f5.0 or 4.5 scope. I am considering these for bino viewing and they have a great price and a wide fov (10-20 mm, 1.25 inch eps). Thanks.

September 25, 2002 02:00 PM Forum: Binoviewers

favorite bv eyepieces?...

Besides the 19 mm Panoptics, what does everyone like to view through? I am considering buying a BV and of course, need a pair or two of eps. Has anyone tried the celestron axioms, or the Widescans, or the Seibert ultras? (really don't want to spend all the extra money on the Tvs for my F5 scope).

June 5, 2003 02:17 PM Forum: Telescope Making

on topic!!

Does anyone have a recomendation for the type of nut to weld to cross bars on a steel mirror cell to hold the collimation screws? Would any old nut do, or are there special kinds made for welding and/or holding screws within square hollow tubing?
thanks
George

August 18, 2004 07:52 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Great Blue Heron

Here is a pictue of a Great Blue Heron sitting about 20 feet up in an Oak tree in suburban Maryland. I took this through a Starblast 4.5 inch reflector with a Coolpix 4300 camera. This bird spent about an hour in the tree preening itself until close to sunset. Thanks for looking.
George K

November 10, 2004 08:19 AM Forum: Telescope Making

cutting stainless...

Can stainless steel (1/8 thickness) be cut with a saber saw and a metal cutting blade? My other option is a hack saw (or go to a metal work shop). This would be for mirror cell triangles. Thanks in advance for the opinions!
george

November 26, 2002 09:15 AM Forum: Telescope Making

To dark for my eyes.

I have(had) a discovery 8 in f6 pyrex mirror in their mirror cell/ 9 inch tube with a 1.5 inch secondary. It is outstanding. Mirror is held in by silicon blobs but there is no pinching or astigmatism. Images are bright and crisp. I've since converted the whole thing to a more portable travel scope and made my own cell. The images still look great and on some days can rival my starmaster. I suppose you could have a bad mirror but I'd say it's not too likely. Discovery usually makes good optics that should exceed those of an 'average' XT8. Maybe your collimation is way off. I check mine every time.

January 31, 2003 02:36 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Qs on using Denkmeier OCS with TV Binovue

Hi John
I think you will find some good answers by calling Denkmeier or emailing them. Russ is quite easy to talk to and very informative. just my 2 cents!
George