My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Alan Friedman

August 10, 2003 06:12 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: MARS: CAVE ASTROLA 12.5" F/6

Posted By Alan Friedman

Excellent image. Mars has been hidden behind clouds here for more than a week. Thanks for posting!

Alan Friedman

August 25, 2003 08:54 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

mars/ A/P 10"/ 8-18-03

Posted By Alan Friedman

Greetings,

Sorry for this older picture, but have been out of town for a week, with no email to keep up with the great images being posted. I had some good seeing for about 30 minutes on August 18th during which I captured this ToUcam image with about 500 frames taken through my 10" mak/cass.

After catching up with your excellent recent images, I think I need to turn down the contrast some and try for a more natural image.

clear skies,
Alan Friedman
Buffalo, NY

September 4, 2003 09:52 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

mars from black forest

Posted By Alan Friedman

Hi all,

Two images from this past weekend - one before the rain at Black Forest Star Party - one from downtown Buffalo two nights later.

clear skies!
Alan Friedman

September 23, 2003 04:10 PM Forum: Zeiss

mounting the APQ 130

Posted By Alan Friedman

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have adapted the mounting of your APQ to a different system than the Zeiss stainless dovetail bar. I have an AP 600 and 900 mount and have switched to a dovetail plate that uses the losmandy dovetail bars. This makes a very solid connection on my other scopes. The APQ stainless bar will work on the small A/P Dove08 but nothing larger. The A/P rings for their 6" are just a wee too big for the APQ 130. I could attack a different sliding bar directly to the stainless one, but wondered if anyone has come up with something a little more elegant.

thanks!
Alan Friedman

October 22, 2003 02:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

chromosphere

Posted By Alan Friedman

With the onset of lake effect weather here in Buffalo, I've had a chance to finish working on some images started a while back.

Taken with an A/P traveler and Solarmax 90, this mosaic of the inner solar atmosphere was taken at prime focus with a Nikon D1x digital camera. Final construction and processing done in Adobe Photoshop.

clear skies (again sometime, hopefully)
Alan Friedman

October 31, 2003 07:36 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

SUN TODAY!

Posted By Alan Friedman

Guys -

The activity on the sun today IS NOT TO BE BELIVED!

A/P 6", Baader Filter, significant post processing in
Adobe Photoshop!

Happy Halloween,
Alan

November 15, 2003 07:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

jupiter variations

Posted By Alan Friedman

Well it doesn't look like the clouds will break here anytime soon, so I went back to some video footage shot last February to see if I could improve it with some of the techniques practiced on Mars this summer.

The original image took an entire afternoon back in Feb. - averaging still frames from hand held video in Photoshop. For the second image, I made a short Quicktime movie of the footage and used Keith's Image Stacker to register and add about 100 frames.

I can't wait to see the incredible detail you all will record with webcams on Jupiter once it is high and big.

clear skies!
Alan

November 24, 2003 03:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: My Ultra Sophisticated Imaging Set-Up!!

Posted By Alan Friedman

And it even records saturn in the daytime!

cheers,
Alan

November 24, 2003 04:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

sunspots 11-22

Posted By Alan Friedman

The sun never cleared the power lines, treetops or the thin clouds, but I was able to piece together a glimpse of major sunspot activity round 2 on Saturday morning. A little bit of clear sky in Buffalo in November is not to be wasted!

best,
Alan

December 11, 2003 07:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

IR blocking for Jupiter and Saturn?

Posted By Alan Friedman

Greetings all,

I notice a number of you are using your IR blocking filters for saturn and jupiter. Have you found this to be necessary?
I like to leave it on the ToUcam to keep the dust level down, but I am not sure that is needed for these planets.

thanks for your thoughts on this,
Alan