Posts Made By: Alan Friedman

December 28, 2003 10:29 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn on Boxing Day

Posted By Alan Friedman

Some beautiful clear skies and very patient out of town guest allowed me to observe saturn the day after Christmas and fiddle with this image most of yesterday and today. About 10 separate ToUcam streams were combined (25% of the frames were usable - 100 frames or so in each - seeing about 5-6/10). Some streams were aligned on the rings and others on the disk which when stacked allowed a hint of the encke division to be captured - though I wasn't able to see it visually.

A/P 10" mak/cass with Baader FFC (no IR blocking) yielding about f45.

I hope you enjoy it!
Alan

January 3, 2004 06:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

A JPEG question

Posted By Alan Friedman

I wonder if anyone can help me with this question.

When I save a jpeg of an image in Photoshop the image appears considerably lighter and less saturated when viewed in a web
browser. The detail seems fine, just the color and darkness are affected - even if I save in the highest quality setting. I usually increase the values for hue and saturation in the original to compensate, but even so I don't get close to the character of the original image. Is there a setting that I am missing when I save the image?

thanks,
Alan

February 25, 2004 03:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

saturn in superb seeing

Posted By Alan Friedman

Taken at the Cedar Key Star Party in Cedar Key, FL last Thursday night. This was about the best seeing I have ever experienced. We observed with a Nagler 3-6 zoom in my 10" f14.6 - dialing between 600 and 1200x and it was hard to decide which image gave the most information!

clear skies,
Alan

March 1, 2004 06:43 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Saturn from 112203

Posted By Alan Friedman

Eric -

Excellent detail in the disk! Thanks for posting it.

Alan

March 1, 2004 06:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

jupiter, io and europa

Posted By Alan Friedman

Hello all,

This image is one from a series I did at Cedar Key during a transit of Io and its shadow across Jupiter. The seeing was pretty good - 7/10 - but some dewing on the corrector didn't help. Will just have to go back next year and try again!

Hope you enjoy it,
Alan

March 1, 2004 07:20 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

jupiter io and europa from 2/20 05:17UT

Posted By Alan Friedman

As I began to process images from this evening, I found that more detail was to be found in images a little earlier than in my first posting to this group. Io and its shadow are seen in front of the disk. The seeing here was about 7/10 - not as good as earlier in the evening for saturn, but still much better than most nights up north!

clear skies,
Alan

March 3, 2004 04:06 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

comparison of Jupiter/Io images

Posted By Alan Friedman

I put together a comparison of the George's image from 27 Feb and mine from 20 Feb, including the two detail images prepared by Jose (I hope you both don't mind). I think they provide a fascinating glimpse of Jupiter and Io.

Hope you enjoy it too,
Alan

March 3, 2004 06:05 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

detail of Jupiter and Io

Posted By Alan Friedman

Greetings,

I thought that you might be interested in some collaborative comparisons we have been doing on recent images of Jupiter over in the CCD and Imaging forum.

I wonder if it is possible to identify these albedo markings on Io (or Ganymede or the other Jovian moons) visually on a night of very good seeing?

best regards,
Alan Friedman

March 14, 2004 06:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

ganymede and io

Posted By Alan Friedman

The seeing was not too good, but the show was wonderful. I shared views of Ganymede and Io in transit with my kids and then took a few ToUcam streams just as ganymede's shadow left the disk and Io was prepared to transit. The resolution was a little disappointing but it was a good challenge to try and make the most out of what could be recorded.

I hope many of you had a chance to observe last night too.

clear skies,
Alan

March 16, 2004 04:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter - the movie

Posted By Alan Friedman

Two short animations created with 12 images covering about 25 minutes from Feb 20:

http://www.greatarrow.com/alan/ioanimation_med.gif

and a close-up of Io and its shadow:

http://www.greatarrow.com/alan/io_transit_detail_small.gif

Heavy dewing compromised the resolution of the last few images and brought an end to observing that night.

enjoy,
Alan

ps - the files run around 400K - will take a few minutes with a dial-up connection.