My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bill Burghardt

August 22, 2007 09:05 PM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Re: ignore list?

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Try the Herb/Keith discussion going on in ASTROMART FAQ.

September 5, 2007 02:00 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Was this rude of me?

Posted By Bill Burghardt

I WONDER why such an offer would be ignored.

Law enforcement type thinking, "NOW I know where it is and what ever else might be of interest."

I HOPE NOT, but not the type offer to be ignored if seriously interested, a mutually agreeable spot not too far from EITHER house also insures not knowing the actual home location, yet offers safety for the examination and negotiations.

Sorry for sounding negative, but just Sunday, SAFELY, accidently, interrupted an abduction attempt too close to my wife's and my work place and home! Intended victim and I still adding info to police report.

FWIW

September 5, 2007 03:46 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Posting Picture

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Alex,

If one posts a picture that is obviously not "boiler plate" taken from some ad, it would indicate that the party actually has the item in question.

Possibly a throwback to dealing with the other less creditable auction/for sale sites?

September 5, 2007 08:04 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Where to buy 3"ID teflon pipe?

Posted By Bill Burghardt

At one time a company I worked for had some VERY thick teflon tape. Might be available through surplus outlets or some supplier. Not an ideal fix, but several bands inside a tube might support the load unless ultra precision positioning is required.

FWIW,
bill

September 10, 2007 04:25 AM Forum: Religion

An open letter

Posted By Bill Burghardt

I find it fascinating and enlightening, the comments to my story and stated position.

Anyone else willing to share their bottom line fellings?

September 13, 2007 10:10 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Want $30 million?

Posted By Bill Burghardt

I suspect Mr. Rutan and his backers just might take a shot at this prize.

September 14, 2007 02:49 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Star12ED collimation

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Similar question a week or so back. MOST LIKELY, Rolando will repeat his comments or point to the proper procedure. Be patient, it is easy to do, but also easy to have problems if wrong sequence is used.

Best wishes,
bill

September 21, 2007 03:31 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Barlow vs.Powermate

Posted By Bill Burghardt

See if you can borrow one of each within your group or club, then make a decision.

TeleVue site should have an explanation of the difference. Something to the effect that the second group of lenses bring the light rays into a parallel path, eliminating the tendency for some light cutoff. PERSONALLY, the powermate does do a better job with the extra set of lenses, but costs more.

You might also try the ASK AL section, I KNOW there is an explanation of the difference somewhere on the site.

September 30, 2007 01:46 PM Forum: Telescope Making

My New Red Flashlight

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Infinity is now being sold under IIRC the GERBER nameplate, and still available in different color light outputs.

FWIW,
bill

October 4, 2007 01:25 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Is it worth pushing this glass?

Posted By Bill Burghardt

OVER MY HEAD, but somewhere in the Amart archives if I recall correctly there is a discussion on lens element spacing.

IIRC, the spacers, if any in that lens as you received it are probably too thick to let it focus at astronomical infinity with a quality image. Spacing would be closer for more distant objects. NO guarantee that the lens will work well as much more than a wide field telescope, yet that may be its happy future in your hands.

Good luck on your project,
bill