Posts Made By: Bill Burghardt

October 5, 2007 01:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Overdone, but it is my first attempt

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Zoom out to 300mm and do a few more like that. Gives us rank amateurs a thought that even we could make a nice picture, with just a bit of effort.

Well done,
bill

October 16, 2007 12:48 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Posting Ads on multiple sites . . . grrr

Posted By Bill Burghardt

You could share your findings with: [email protected]

He is always interested in the integrity of Amart.

FWIW,
bill

October 26, 2007 10:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

an old Meade drive corrector

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Control handle assembly is similar to if not a generic x/y control from the radio control model industry, probably 1960/70 era. Assuming that to be correct, moving the handle most likely varies the length of a pulse to the motor being adjusted. Assuming that to be correct, most of the old analog rc systems used either 2.5 or 5 milliseconds as a center time signal, and lengthened the pulse to drive the rc actuator in one direction and shortened the pulse to go the other way: say right and left rudder for an airplane or boat.

I suspect the system you have just varies the speed of the drive motor for the RA direction; for the declination, moving the handle drives the dec motor in the direction ordered at a rate proportional to the movement of the handle. As most likely an analog system, it is unlikely it will be easy to interface with modern digital systems.

YMMV, good luck with the project.

November 2, 2007 05:01 PM Forum: Refractors

Re: TMB Designed APM 152mm f/8 Achromat

Posted By Bill Burghardt

MANY discussions on flocking in the archives. MOST concede it is an easy way to get excellent results, when the right material is used.

David Hawkins said:

The lens is in a collimatable cell, but I don't have the OTA end ring that mounts rigidly to the OTA (that the cell then uses to collimate against with push-pull set screws). So, I'm not sure of the I.D., but an O.D. of 160mm should work.

If I build an OTA, I will need to machine an OTA adapter for the AP focuser, an OTA end ring, and some baffles. I would then need to machine up some sort of sliding dew slide, which is probably the easiest part.

How do y'all feel about baffles? I know the TeleVue NP127 I used to have did not have any that I remember, but the TMB-APM 180mm ED-Star I owned a while back was full of baffles, Markus really likes them. Or, will Krylon Ultra-Flat Black paint and some quality flocking paper at the end of the OTA be enough to control stray light and help contrast (if possible)? If so, machining some baffles will not be necessary and will cut cost and time down.

November 2, 2007 05:04 PM Forum: Refractors

opinion on a good wide-field refractor.

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Not in the inexpensive side of the scale, but APM does have several larger models of fast refractore.

Good luck in yuor search and choice.

Paulo martin said:

Hello,

I am searching a good wide angle refractor telescope.For wide vistas of deep sky.Any advice or opinion are welcome.

Thanks,
paulo

November 2, 2007 05:45 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Focal ratio

Posted By Bill Burghardt

There is a TMB 130MM arond F/8-9 that seems to be getting good reviews. Not cheap, but quite possibly well worth considering if you are serious about that type investment.

YMMV,
bill

November 4, 2007 02:42 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Focal ratio

Posted By Bill Burghardt

I would like to see Al Nagler reprint some of his early discussions in the beautiful brochures he published for TeleVue equipment in the early days. Added to Rolando's, and the late Thomas Back's writings, we would have an excellent MODERN basic telescope education course second to none!

FWIW,
bill

November 5, 2007 04:21 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Stacking Barcons

Posted By Bill Burghardt

Barlows can be stacked, just remember that F5.6 scope with a 2X barlow becomes a F11, with two 2X barlows, it is now an F22. Dimmer image, but as long as it reaches focus and you are obviously using high grade optics, ENJOY THE FUN!!! 8)

Best wishes,
bill

November 7, 2007 09:45 PM Forum: Religion

Inquiring minds want to know about 'the Afterlife'

Posted By Bill Burghardt

HEY LEE!

You forgot the hottub, direct line to the local suds pouring establishment, and no colored water accidents!

FOR SHAME!!! grin

Lee Spain said:

In this afterlife place do they have any of the following:
Sonny's BBQ,
the George Foreman Grill,
every dog, cat, and guinea pig I ever owned,
Chik-Fil-A on Sunday,
holy rollers,
rock-n-rollers,
HDTV,
pizza,
sports (particularly football)

Also, what sort of recreational amenities will be available? Parks, fishing, boating, astronomy, video games?
Also, do they have gun control or any restrictions on gun ownership up there? Are there any challenges to face? Or do the fish always bite?

Is it crowded up there? Are there any zoning restrictions? Is there light pollution? Do you need telescopes? Can you see what is going on down on Earth? Will you care about what you see? If not, why not?

Will God and Jesus be personally available? Do you have to stand in line to see him or get his autograph? Is the line longer than the line to see NASCAR driver Tony Stewart? Do God and Jesus at least act interested after you've wait in the line? Will they take questions? Do you get access to all portions of the Kingdom or just restricted areas? Do you have to attend worship services or can you do what you want on Sunday? Is God more relaxed since his old testament days?

November 15, 2007 07:47 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Advertising what you got

Posted By Bill Burghardt

I have also mentioned bragging about ones posessions is dangerous.

I ONLY HOPE ALL OF THE FORUM MEMBERS READ YOUR INPUT!

Well done,
bill