My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Roger Hinson

January 24, 2003 04:44 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

New Kodac B&W Film

Posted By Roger Hinson

Has any one tried the new black and white film from Kodac that can be developed using the c-41 process? I get tired of having to send my B&W rolls out to be developed and having to wait a week. I used to develope my own B&W, but my new land lady won't let me do that here.
Roger

October 31, 2003 01:35 AM Forum: Celestron

cg5+c8

Posted By Roger Hinson

What do I need to mount a C-8 to a CG5 mount, and where can I get it. I know it's a bar that bolts under the ota and sets in the cg5 saddle, but I can't find one. I checked the celestron site and a few sites here listed on the home page, but I didn't find anything. I was hoping somebody here could point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Roger

March 14, 2004 06:43 AM Forum: Telescope Making

First light

Posted By Roger Hinson

Came home tonight and the skies were clear, so I hauled out the 8 inch F-9 reflector I have been building this last week. I bought the mirror, diag, spider, focuser, and cell here about 2 weeks ago (Thanks Al!)found some 10 inch Sono tube, some alumimum tubing and fitted it all together. Took it out and put it on Juipter. Couldn't get it to focuse. With the focuser racked out all the way, I wound up pulling the eye piece out about 6 inches to get focuse. I got a nice view of Juipter and it's moons and could make out a few bands using an old 25mm SMA e/p. I ran the numbers thrue Newt for windows and for a F-9 the distance between the face of the mirror and the focuser hole is 63.625 inches. But if I had to pull the e/p out 6 inches to get focus, then I'm thinking the mirror is about an F-10, not an F-9. The man I bought I from wasn't sure, it was an estate sale and not his. So off I go to ACO to but 4 more alumimum tubes. The last ones I bought were 72 inches long and I cut off 7 1/2 inches to get the 63.75 distance between the mirror and the focuser hole. I'll leave the new ones at 72 inches and try it again. I figure that should put me in the center of the focuser travel. Still with the sono tube, mirror, cell, focuser, spider, 1.83 diag, and 8x50 finder the whole package comes in at around 22 pounds. I still have to build a rocker box for it, but I'm going to keep it small and low. Maybe I'll post a pic when it's not so ugly!
Roger

March 21, 2004 05:39 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Ebony Star Question

Posted By Roger Hinson

Hi All. I picked up a piece of ebony star the other day, and am having trouble wraping it around my side berrings. This stuff is so stiff it won't stay glued down. I'm using HyBond 80 to glue it with, but it keeps comming loose. I really don't want to pin it with nails, so I was wondering if I could heat the strips up in the oven, wrap them around the berrings,(8 inch) and let it cool, then glue them down. Would this work? I already had one set of strips crack on me, and don't have enough laminate left to cut a third set from.
Thanks
Roger

March 23, 2004 03:25 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Mirror edge beveling

Posted By Roger Hinson

All the major work is done on my F-10, now it's time to send the mirror off to have it recoated, but before I do that the edge needs to be beveled. The edge has a very sharp edge on it and a few small chips. How do I bevel the edge down? I was thinking fine emery cloth wrapped around a block or maybe a stone like what you would use to sharpen a knife. At the moment there is only 3 small chips on the edge, all less than 1/8 inch. I know I won't be able to grind them out, but I'd like to stop any more from ocurring.
Roger

March 23, 2004 04:39 PM Forum: Telescope Making

One last mirror question for the old guys!

Posted By Roger Hinson

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to get an idea on the age of the mirror I'm going to send out. Or at least how old the coatings are and what type of glass it is. I promise I won't bug you guys anymore after this. O.K. on the back of the mirror is a pink sticker that reads "Hard BERAL Coating, information on dusting and cleaning with absorbant cotton or Mir-O-Clean, and then P.A. Clausing with the same address as now H.L. Clausing. When did the name change from P.L. to H.L Clausing? The mirror was made by an Orris E. Thompson. As for the glass, it's about
1 1/2 " thick, has no color to it, very clear, the back side is not ground, but is smooth and flat with no ripples in it and it hs a fine pebbled surface. If you look at the edge chips with a magnifing glass, they have a clam shell apearance to them. Not jagged or sharp, but rippled, like the outside of a clam shell. Sound like plate glass? I know it's not much to go on, but any thoughts or ideas would be helpfull
Thanks
Roger

December 9, 2004 02:05 AM Forum: Refractors

Celestron 102HD cell

Posted By Roger Hinson

Does anyone know how the cell is held on to the tube on one of these? It's the non adjustable cell. Does it screw on, or is it pressed, or epoxied? The reason I ask is because the cell looks crooked. I took the objectives out and there is a small gap on one side between the end of the tube wall and the sholder stop on the cell. Any ideas on removing it?
Thanks
Roger

January 1, 2005 02:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Options to Upgrade the CG-5 Mount to GOTO?

Posted By Roger Hinson

Heres a link to check out. It also has links to other peooples conversion projects

http://www.data-plumber.com/firstcg5mods.htm

Roger

January 3, 2005 02:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Coulter mirror

Posted By Roger Hinson

When I pulled the mirror out of my dob to clean it, I noticed that the side of the mirror was marked with a -4 on it. Does anybody know what this means?
Thanks
Roger

June 11, 2005 08:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Flea Market Finds

Posted By Roger Hinson

Went to the flea market today and walked away with 3 scopes. First was an old J.C. Penny 60mm F700 refactor with tripod, az. mount and a .965 H6mm e\p. Next was a Meade 60mm TeleStar on an az. mount. As I was walking out to the car, one of the sellers spotted me carrying the scopes and tripods and gave me a Tasco 50mm F600 in the orignail box with a table top az. tripod and a .965 sun filter (I know, don't use it!!). Total cost for all three scopes was $7.00! Not sure what I'm goint to do with them. The Tasco and J.C. Penny have a circle T on them. Towa? The optics on all 3 are clean and scratch free. The Tasco looks like it's not been used. Now I need to find a .965 to 1.25 diagonal so I can check them out under the sky