New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: David Modisett

November 7, 2021 12:12 PM Forum: Reflectors

8" F/20 Tri-Schiefspiegler Unobstructed Tilted Component Telescope

Posted By David Modisett

Dear Friends, 

I have had sitting for 25 years an 8” F/20 Tri-Schiefspiegler featured in the January 1991 Sky and Telescope article “Top Ten Telescope Ideas of 1990” and winner of two first prizes at Stellafane. It was built by Brian Lareau of RI and the mirrors were made by Richard Wessling of OH from a Richard Buchroeder design.

I purchased this telescope in Tucson AZ while attending the Optical Sciences Center. I was studying tilted component telescopes and included are raytraces and a great number of TCT related papers, designs, information and the original S&T article.

The body is built from solid 3/4” Mahogany ~12" x 12" x 72" and attached by 6” Aluminum channel forks and 2 1/2” polar shaft. It has a 2" eyepiece focusing tube, accessory scope mount and includes a very large wedge and worm gear that sit on a massive 16” tubular steel mount. There is a second lightweight wood mount (as shown in photo) that mounts forks only. All of the telescope is original as I purchased it with the exception of the lightweight wood mount which I built.

It is time to sell it. I started to post in the classified but I need some advise first:

1. I don't have any idea what it's value is - do any of you have an estimate? 
2. Should I list regular classified or auction? 
3. Are there addition items or measurements in the description that I need to include?

Thank you for you assistance, 

David