My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Rodstrom

January 13, 2004 03:53 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Now I've Done It - (Trusses)

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

I caught the fever and just bought a 14 1/2" mirror. Now I will need to build a telescope.

For the trusses, I was thinking about using three relatively small aluminum or carbon fiber tubes in compression and six stainless steel wires in tension. This should allow me to make a very sturdy structure with the minimum weight.

It appears that the key to this approach would be a stiff mirror box and stiff cage.

Has anyone tried anything like this. What are the pros and cons?

February 5, 2004 04:23 AM Forum: Religion

Re: Same Sex Marriages, and John Kerry...

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

You must be kidding. You seem to be saying that Kerry is from a state that had a State Supreme Court ruling supporting same sex marriage and that somehow means that Kerry is for gay marriage. That's the same type of fuzzy logic that Bush used to justify the war in Iraq.

Anyone with any sense at all knows that Court decisions often are unpopular with majority of the population and/or legislature. One case that comes to mind is a decision about voting in Florida a while back.

Recent news stories claim that Kerry, most Democratic hopefuls, and Bush all do not support same sex marriage.

February 12, 2004 02:51 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Kerry in Vietnam part two

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

My recollection from the Vietnam war days it that river boat duty was one of the most dangerous assignments possible for any branch of the service. The boats were literally sitting ducks and took heavy losses. The fact that he was wounded three times in 3 1/2 months is a good indication of the danger. Any time you are wounded by shrapnel, you are inches from death. In my opinion, everyone who served on those boats deserves a metal.

You seem to be trying to imply that since Kerry was ranking officer he may have faked his wounds. That's a bunch of bull. The crews of those boats were close knit groups and would not have put up with it.

In any case, Kerry's assignment certainly was a lot tougher than sightseeing in a F-102.

February 12, 2004 09:47 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Kerry vs. Bush. What's the point?

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

What's the point? Cheney for one.

February 15, 2004 01:22 AM Forum: Religion

Re: Who would Jesus vote for?

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

Jesus probably would not vote. He would reveal the truth to others so they had the opportunity to make the right choice.

February 23, 2004 04:57 AM Forum: Politics

Politics forum - a good thing

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

I always felt bad when politics crowded out those who were passionate about religion. This forum is one good thing that has come from the bashing that's been rampant on the Philosophy and Religion forum. Lets go for two.

The majority of the people here have a love of astronomy. We wouldn't call someone a jerk if he likes a Dob better that a refractor or vice versa. Lets give each other a break. Just because someone is a Democrat doesn't make him a communist and just because someone is a Republican doesn't make him a war monger.

I think we all can do a better job of presenting ideas as opposed to name calling. If we took a little more time to listen, I'd bet that we find a lot more common ground than we expect.

Call me naïve, but it's worth a shot.

February 25, 2004 04:18 AM Forum: Politics

Big Money won't save Bu$h this time

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

Today "strongly Republican Utah"

>>> Officials printed 5,000 extra ballots in Salt Lake City to accommodate the demand. "Three blocks from Temple Square and there's a giant line of Democrats," said Blake Sarlow, waiting to vote. "It's the craziest thing."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040225/ap_on_el_pr/democrats&cid=694&ncid=716

February 28, 2004 07:41 PM Forum: Politics

Welfare and our founding fathers

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

Evidently, help for the needy was right and proper from the very beginning of this great Nation. The wealthy (titheable) were tapped to help the needy.

"To those who are able to help themselves a little, or have friends from whom they derive some succours, inadequate however to their full maintenance, supplementary aids are given, which enable them to live comfortably in their own houses, or in the houses of their friends."

http://www.vindicatingthefounders.com/library/index.asp?document=39

Medicare had fewer benefits. wink

"…. the sick, the dying, and the dead are crammed together, in the same rooms, and often in the same beds…. "

February 29, 2004 10:24 PM Forum: Politics

How the CIA sums up the US

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

From the CIA World Factbook

>>> The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $37,600. In this market-oriented economy, private individuals and business firms make most of the decisions, and the federal and state governments buy needed goods and services predominantly in the private marketplace. US business firms enjoy considerably greater flexibility than their counterparts in Western Europe and Japan in decisions to expand capital plant, lay off surplus workers, and develop new products. At the same time, they face higher barriers to entry in their rivals' home markets than the barriers to entry of foreign firms in US markets. US firms are at or near the forefront in technological advances, especially in computers and in medical, aerospace, and military equipment, although their advantage has narrowed since the end of World War II. The onrush of technology largely explains the gradual development of a "two-tier labor market" in which those at the bottom lack the education and the professional/technical skills of those at the top and, more and more, fail to get comparable pay raises, health insurance coverage, and other benefits. Since 1975, practically all the gains in household income have gone to the top 20% of households. The years 1994-2000 witnessed solid increases in real output, low inflation rates, and a drop in unemployment to below 5%. The year 2001 saw the end of boom psychology and performance, with output increasing only 0.3% and unemployment and business failures rising substantially. The response to the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001 showed the remarkable resilience of the economy. Moderate recovery took place in 2002, with the GDP growth rate rising to 2.45%. A major short-term problem in first half 2002 was a sharp decline in the stock market, fueled in part by the exposure of dubious accounting practices in some major corporations. The war in March/April 2003 between a US-led coalition and Iraq shifted resources to military industries and introduced uncertainties about investment and employment in other sectors of the economy. Long-term problems include inadequate investment in economic infrastructure, rapidly rising medical and pension costs of an aging population, sizable trade deficits, and stagnation of family income in the lower economic groups.

Do you agree?

March 5, 2004 05:24 PM Forum: Politics

GWB's dismal jobs record -THE LATEST

Posted By Tom Rodstrom

There are a lot of factors that are out of Bush's control, but the fact remains. This administration has the worst jobs record in modern history.

>>> America's unemployment rate remained stuck at 5.6 percent in February as the economy added a paltry 21,000 positions.

>>> … the overall seasonally adjusted civilian unemployment rate stayed at 5.6 percent in February as thousands of prospective workers gave up looking for a job. Approximately 392,000 people left the civilian work force in February from January.

>>> There were some 8.2 million people unemployed in February, with the average duration of 20.3 weeks without work. That marked the highest average duration of joblessness in over 20 years.

>>> Manufacturers lost jobs for the 43rd month in a row in February. Factories cut 3,000 positions last month, but that marked a slower pace than the 13,000 cut in January.

Self-employed witch doctors, voodoo economists, and eB_y beanie baby sellers are not included in these figures.

See the whole article here:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=&e=2&u=/ap/20040305/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/economy