My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steven Gaber

July 11, 2022 02:54 AM Forum: Reflectors

Schmidt Newtonian Collimation

Posted By Steven Gaber

I have a Meade SN10 Schmidt Newtonian that I am trying to collimate.  I replaced the crappy Meade focuser with an exquisite Moonlite focuser that has no wobble at all. I have a 2" Howie Glatter laser and an Orion LaserMate Deluxe collimators.I had to remove the corrector plate to install the Moonlite focuser. I put Bob's Knobs on the secondary holder. I think I put it back correctly, but the secondary mirror holder is a little loose and turns when I try to collimate it.

I can get three laser dots in a straight line, aligned with the center circle in the primary mirror. Should I see only one?

Haven't used the scope in a while because I have to replace the clutch disks of my G-11. But the last time I used it, the stars were pretty charp. I could see five of Saturn's moons.

I have read other suggestions that say collimation should be the same as a regular Newtonian. But I don't see how that is possible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

S. Gaber

Posted By Steven Gaber

I have a Meade SN10 Schmidt Newtonian that I am trying to collimate.  I replaced the crappy Meade focuser with an exquisite Moonlite focuser that has no wobble at all. I have a 2" Howie Glatter laser and an Orion LaserMate Deluxe collimators.I had to remove the corrector plate to install the Moonlite focuser. I put Bob's Knobs on the secondary holder. I think I put it back correctly, but the secondary mirror holder is a little loose and turns when I try to collimate it.

I can get three laser dots in a straight line, aligned with the center circle in the primary mirror. Should I see only one?

Haven't used the scope in a while because I have to replace the clutch disks of my G-11. But the last time I used it, the stars were pretty charp. I could see five of Saturn's moons.

I have read other suggestions that say collimation should be the same as a regular Newtonian. But I don't see how that is possible.

S. Gaber

Posted By Steven Gaber

S. Gaber

July 11, 2022 03:30 AM Forum: Reflectors

Posted By Steven Gaber

Ooops. Sorry about the triple posts. 

i did't realize it got posted the first time I hit the POST REPLY button.

S. Gaber

February 28, 2023 11:29 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Polaris always visible?

Posted By Steven Gaber

Originally Posted by Mike Van Buskirk
Rookie question here:<br><br>Isn't Polaris supposed to always be visible here in North America? According to my Starry Night Backyard computer program Polaris isn't even visible right now.<br><br>How do you polar align a telescope without Polaris being up?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Mike
 Polaris is always above the horizon in North America.

How far above the horizon depends on your latitude. The further north your position on the earth, the higher it will be above the horizon.
As you go further south, it will be lower on the horizon.

My problem is that Polaris is frequently obscured by trees. I'm near the Gulf area of Tampa Bay, at latitude 28N, and there are lots of big trees here which prevent me from seeing Polaris.

So I need to know how to do a decent polar alignment if I can't see Polaris?

May 2, 2023 05:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Delete double post

Posted By Steven Gaber

Delete double post

May 2, 2023 05:07 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Delete Double post

Posted By Steven Gaber

Deletedouble post

May 2, 2023 05:09 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bausch & Lomb 500mm f/5.6 telephoto lens

Posted By Steven Gaber

Thinking of buying a friend's Bausch & Lomb 500mm f/5.6 telephoto lens. Can't find anything about it.

It's old and dusty, but soild. Maybe 30 years old?

Could I convert it to decent telescope?

How much do you think it's worth?

S. Gaber