My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mike Swaim

May 29, 2002 02:22 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Best 10x50 Binoculars for Astronomy?

Posted By Mike Swaim

I'm a big proponent of 10x50 binoculars. To me, (and I stress that this is my personal opinion, not fact), the 10x50 size is the ideal merger of contrast, image scale, handholdability and reasonable FOV. To me 10x50 represents not only the best all around general use configuration, but the best configuration for handheld astronomy as well. Much of my enthusiasm for the size may be due to the increased contrast that 10x provides over 8x or 7x from my suburban location. However, there is a big drawback to 10x50's that is far more of a practical nature than an ideal. That is that really good ones are hard to find.

I've searched for several years for "the best porro prism 10x50 available for under $500", and I'm here to tell you that the pickings in that price range are really pretty slim if you want clear views to the edge of the field. As you've noted, there may be one or two really worth looking at if you're able to go substanially beyond the monetary limits that I was looking at. Nonetheless, the news isn't all bad. The reality is that from many typically light polluted observing locations, a mediocre 10x50 still shows more stars than a really great 7x50 or 8x42. So it really comes down to where you will be doing most of your observing. If your skies are truly mag 6 or better most of the time, then maybe a great 7x50 makes sense. But if mag 5 or worse is more typical of your location, then even a $200-$250 10x50 may show you more than a $600-$700 7x50.

Personally, after much searching and many false starts, I chose the Nikon Superior E 12x50's as "the best 10x50" that I could afford. They're not for everybody. Any problems with shake with 10x50s are, of course, magnified in the higher power. They're not waterproof. They don't have a built-in tripod adaptor, but can be mounted with a proprietary mounting doo-hickey available at extra cost. They're expensive for their limitations, but their crisp clean optics make up for all of their shortcomings. I use them for astronomy. I use them for birding. I use them whenever weather and conditions aren't limitations.

But still, I really wish that I could find a truly worldclass, waterproof. porro prism 10x50 for my all around general use binocular. It stuns me that the market isn't flooded with contenders for this obvious niche.

Good luck,
Mike Swaim

June 7, 2002 01:29 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Chukar

Posted By Mike Swaim

Thank you for posting that picture. I've got a pair of shoes named for that bird, but have never seen one. The drawings in Sibley really don't do it justice. I had no idea that they were so accustomed to people that they'd nest beside a house. That's what makes the pic humorous.

Mike Swaim

July 16, 2002 03:49 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

NIKON 12X50 SE BINOCULARS

Posted By Mike Swaim

Glenn, I've been using and comparing the Nikon SE 12x50's for a few months. I've compared them to the Pentax PCF 12x50's, Leupold 10x50's and some vintage Minolta 10x50 WA's as well as Steiner 7x50 Night Hunters and Swarovski Habicht 8x56 SLs.

Out of the dozens of various binos I've had, the Nikon 12x50 SEs are without a doubt my favorite binocular. That's saying a lot! They're the size of a smallish 10x50, very easy to hold. I don't find much difference in holding these steady as compared to 10x50's but the slight increase in power does tend to pull in slightly fainter stars from my suburban location. Mostly, I like them for their superb resolution. They are crisp almost to the edge of the FOV, (something which can't be said of most 10x50's that I've tried.) Their resolution is simply fantastic. I like these so much I use them for birding. The FOV is a little narrow for that, but I the extra power really helps resolve details much better than any 7x or 8x glass.

The other thing that's worth mentioning in this thread, is that the Pentax PCF 12x50's, while no where near the eye candy performance of the Nikon SE's, are a worthy consideration for those who balk at the high price of the non-waterproof Nikons. They are now what I'm recommending to those wanting to start off in bino astronomy.

Mike Swaim

October 29, 2002 03:24 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Mini-review Pentax DCF WP 8x42

Posted By Mike Swaim

I've compared these in the field to Canon 8x32AW (miserably dark and heavy), Minox 8.5x42, Kahles 8x42, Minox 8x32, Nikon Venturer Lx 8x42, Swarovski EL 8.5x42, Optolyth Alpin 8x30, Nikon SE 8x32, Nikon SE 12x50, Leupold W.R. 10x50 and the orig. Swift Audubon 8.5x44 non-w.p. porros.

As far as resolution and clarity go, the Pentax DCF WP simply aren't in the same league as the top end $1K roof prism binos such as the Venturers and ELs. Nor are they in the same class as the excellent sub-$500 offerings from Minox and Kahles. In the under $600 class of roofies, the Kahles are definitely worthy of much consideration. In the under $450 category, the Minox BD series is really pretty darn good. But the thing of it is, that the Pentax are currently available for around $340-$360 and have a $100 rebate. That brings them down into the range of popular mid-priced porros. While they don't even come close to the excellent Nikon SEs (not much does), they definitely hold their own against classics like the Swift Audubon 8.5x44s without as much edge distortion.

To me, that's really where the strength of the Pentax DCF WPs is. They offer waterproof phase coated roof prisms to folks that previously only had short eye relief, often non-WP porros to chose from in this size/weight configuration. They're a much more solid entry into that market than any of the non-phase coated roof prism binos that I've seen so far. They are a modern alternative to the various things currently being called Swift Audubon...

Mike Swaim

November 4, 2002 01:02 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Pentax PF-80 ED spotting scope?

Posted By Mike Swaim

Doug, two of the folks that I sometimes bird with have this scope with the zoom lenses in the straight configuration. I got very excited about it during a recent, (temporary) price drop. It's a good scope. The eyepieces made for it are good enough that I'm not sure that there would be an advantage trying to use others, (except for the obvious monetary one, if, in fact reg. 1.25"ers really do work... unknown to me at this pt.)

Anyway, my experiences to date have been solely as a very interested onlooker rather than as an owner. It's a good scope, but by birding standards, it's both long and heavy for the aperature. The feeling I had with it was that like a lot of other Pentax sport optics, it was very good, but maybe not quite great. (In my book it takes a heck of a leap to get into the "great" category. Usually I can't afford "great".)

The 20-60x zoom eyepiece really does work quite well through the entire range, but it take a robust tripod to get full use of it at 60x. Really, this scope is at it's best on a fairly robust tripod in general. I liked the big open feeling of the eyepieces, but was left just a little bit cold by the flat color renditions. Comparing it side by side to Leicas, Kowas, and Swarovski's was a very eye opening experience. I would recommend personal assessment of all these fine scopes since people vary in what's important to them.

The Pentax PF-80ED scope was recommended to me by two industry insiders as being specifically and somewhat uniquely suited to digiscoping; (one of whom went out of his way to recommend this product to me over his own similar product line). To date, I don't know of anyone locally using it for that purpose. Nor do I have any first hand knowledge of the angled version that would appeal to me the most. For my specific uses, I've decided that it's not quite right at this time, but that's based largely on extreme portability issues. It is a very good scope. I'd give it a solid A-.

Hope that helps,
Mike Swaim

November 6, 2002 05:23 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Steiner 80X20 bino Opinions ?

Posted By Mike Swaim

For whatever it's worth you might like to know that SWFA's sister site thesamplelist.com has refurbished, supposedly like new Steiner 20x80 Ralleyes starting at $400, 20x80 Senators starting at $700 and 15x80 Senators starting at $600.

Personally, I've been really excited about the Burgess Optical line of Chinese imported big binos and am waiting for them to come out with scheduled interchangeable eyepiece versions of their 20x80 and 25x100's that will feature broadband coated triplet objectives. They are relative unknowns at this point, but they've got my curiousity peaked enough to wait several months to see what they come up with. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Just some thoughts,
Mike Swaim

December 3, 2002 02:50 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Finally got to use 15x70s on a Dark night!

Posted By Mike Swaim

Daryl,
Welcome to the wonderful world of binocular astronomy! While some folks regard binocular astronomy as a novice form of the pursuit, others of us know it for the addictive spectacular views that it really is. I've been really hooked into binocular astronomy as a means unto itself ever since I first tried it. These days, with the affordability of really good large binoculars, it ought to be far more popular than monoscope astronomy.

At the recent Mid Atlantic Star Party I had both Fujinon 16x70 binoculars and a pair of scopes set up for personal sale, and for use by anybody that wanted to try them. A couple of funny things happened. One; nobody much wanted to even try the 4" Mak & 6" Mak-Cass after using the 16x70 binos on a Unimount. Two: I decided that I couldn't part with the large binos and mount, despite the fact that I was ostensibly there to sell those off to buy another telescope. So it goes. This is the second time I've made that same rediscovery and subsequent decision about these particular binoculars and mount.

Even though I had a really decent view of Saturn in the Intes Micro Alter M603, what people wanted to see and use was the 16x70 binoculars on the Unimount. The Boy Scouts that came through were particularly fascinated by the binos. That's been my experience at the last 3 star parties.

I would encourage you to either buy or make a good paralellogram mount for your binoculars and enjoy them often.

Mike Swaim

December 3, 2002 03:10 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

20x80 by Burgess Optical ... WoW !!!...

Posted By Mike Swaim

Steve,
I talked a very little bit with Bill Burgess at MASP. I was so blown away by his little 7.5x32 birding binoculars that I bought them immediately and have been telling anybody that would listen what a great bargain they are. He had so many truly amazing bargains on that table full of binoculars that it was hard not to want one of each size from 32mm to 100mm.

Subsequently, I've exchanged a few emails with Bill, and let me tell you that he is positioning himself to cause a revolution in the world of amatuer optics. I'm into astronomy, not astrology, but I'll make a flat prediction that if Burgess Optical can maintain the quality and the stock to satisfy the orders, they will be one of the fastest growing optics dealers in the near future.

I've been into good optical bargains for a long time, but I've never been so excited by any company as I am about Burgess Optics. This one has the potential to be a really good resource for both large and small binoculars and for telescopes. If the quality stays up, and if demand can be met, this is one company to watch. I've got VERY high hopes for this up-and-coming company.

Mike Swaim

January 10, 2003 12:15 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Need help on NIKON 20 x 120 II collimation

Posted By Mike Swaim

Markus, I had a very good experience with Mirakel Optical cleaning the prisms and collimating an older Swarovski Habicht SL. They were very prompt, curteous and very thorough. Their price was quite reasonable. You might drop them a note at [email protected]
ph. (518)731-2610

http://www.mirakeloptical.com

Regards,
Mike Swaim

January 26, 2003 03:59 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Minimum Exit Pupil for Eye Alignment

Posted By Mike Swaim

I've run into a similar problem in attempting to use binocular microscopes at ridiculously high power. Trying to get the occulars correctly aligned a very high mag. can be frustrating, to say the least. I'm not really sure if that's directly an exit pupil issue or if it's something else.

Personally, I have a theory that the best resolution is when the exit pupil is between 1.5mm-5mm. It seems like I read somewhere that resolution is actually lost when going below 2mm exit pupil, but I don't remember the source.

Mike Swaim