New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Fred Lusk

November 30, 2002 06:16 PM Forum: Telescope Making

A real pain. Collimating !!!!

Posted By Fred Lusk

Gary…

Have you contacted anyone in the Central Valley Astronomers? Several of our members are quite skilled at collimation. (I, on the other hand, am a rank amateur.)

Our next indoor meeting is Saturday, December 7, at 7:00 PM. You're welcome to come, and I'm sure we can find someone to help you. We meet at Fresno State in East Engineering, Room 191. If you don't know your way around the campus, East Engineering is one block south of Barstow at the NE corner of San Ramon and Barton. FYI, Barton is 1/4 mile east of Cedar. Room 191 is the lecture theater at the far east end of the building and it has an outside entrance. Our club banner should be near the door (assuming so-and-so doesn't forget to bring it!).

The theme for Saturday's meeting is "gadget night." Bring your favorite gadget to show everyone. It is also election night for 2003 club officers. But don't let that scare you, we're a pretty informal group.

Fred Lusk
CVA Board

P.S. You can e-mail me directly at [email protected].

January 11, 2003 03:59 AM Forum: Religion

Astronomers

Posted By Fred Lusk

Brien…

A couple of years ago I read an article about a similar topic: religion among professional scientists. From what I recall (and I'm past 40, so I don't recall much!), astronomy is the branch of science with the highest percentage of professionals considering themselves religious, and biology (no surprise) has the lowest percentage. I think the author queried several thousand professional scientists. There was a variety of religions represented. Since some religions do not include a belief in creationism, the article may not answer your exact question.

I wish I could remember where I read the article. Scientific American may have had a summary of it. Anyway, an internet search might turn up something (it usually does).

Fred

January 31, 2003 05:54 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

love reading the posts...but:

Posted By Fred Lusk

Brian…

That site reminds of a book we used in first year Forensics (debate, etc.) in high school: "Fallacy, the Counterfeit of Argument" by Fearnside and Holther. I reread it every couple of years.

Fred Lusk (CA)

February 18, 2003 04:27 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Help needed

Posted By Fred Lusk

Luca…

Congratulations! You have much better friends than I do.

I don't know much about CCD myself (I just had to respond). I'm sure you will get some help soon. This is a good group here at Astromart.

Fred

February 20, 2003 06:05 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

(sigh) I need to place an order...

Posted By Fred Lusk

Matt…

Sorry. We're all out of that. Could I interest you in a Fog pizza and a mug of Great Cloud Nebula beer?

Fred

P.S. Our club has scheduled a Futility Marathon on March 29th. Futility was a little known French astronomer from the early 18th century. He did most of his observing in the winter, and subsequently discovered nothing.

May 3, 2003 06:24 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Portable Solar Viewing

Posted By Fred Lusk

Here's part of our group.

May 3, 2003 06:57 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Hills full of wildflowers

Posted By Fred Lusk

A little bit closer…both to the flowers and to Gorman.

Fred

May 3, 2003 07:02 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve

Posted By Fred Lusk

A close up.

Fred

May 17, 2003 01:32 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

my scope and bike

Posted By Fred Lusk

Cool…but doesn't the scope shake too much when you observe while riding?

Fred

June 14, 2003 12:12 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Cat Tail in broken sun

Posted By Fred Lusk

Varmint-on-a-stick…them's good eatin'

Seriously, that's a great photo.

Fred