My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Fred Lusk

August 11, 2010 09:18 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Miscellaneous Wildlife in SE Alaska

Posted By Fred Lusk

Lions, tigers, and bears, OH MY! Well, bears, anyway. But first we start with a berg bound harbor seal in Tracy Arm Fjord.

August 11, 2010 09:32 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Other waterfalls in SE Alaska

Posted By Fred Lusk

Waterfalls abound in SE Alaska, so I was like a kid in a candy store but without the danger of future cavities.

Tracy Arm Fjord alone has dozens of waterfalls, but I'm only going to post a few from there, then a couple from other places we visited.

Here's the first from Tracy Arm.

August 17, 2010 08:56 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

New Toy

Posted By Fred Lusk

Yesterday I was in Sacramento for a couple of meetings. Afterwards, I took a side trip to Fry's Electronics to see what was calling my money. It's a dangerous store.

Since our club does a lot of school star parties I had been thinking for a while about picking a Celestron FirstScope. Parents and teachers often ask how much our telescopes cost, and I wanted something inexpensive ($49.95) to show them but that wasn't a 600x 50mm piece of junk.

Back to Fry's. My previous visit was last year, during the International Year of Astronomy, and Fry's was stocked to the gills with the FirstScope. Fortunately, they still had a few left so I grabbed one. The two eyepieces are low quality, but a good Plossl shows that the scope's optics are pretty decent. Nothing special, but very usable.

September 4, 2010 11:55 PM Forum: Sports

Fresno State

Posted By Fred Lusk

My Bulldogs were pathetic for the first 20 minutes or so (8 total yards), but then roared back with 28 unanswered points to defeat a very good but sloppy Cincinnati team 28-14.

October 27, 2010 07:20 PM Forum: Sports

World Series

Posted By Fred Lusk

Giants are taking it to the Rangers. My wife and I are going to Game 2 tomorrow and hoping for a sweep.

November 20, 2010 12:36 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite (yes, again!)

Posted By Fred Lusk

Last Sunday I took a quick afternoon trip to Yosemite for the purpose of doing some time lapse photography, including recording the entire drive from Fresno to Yosemite Valley at an equivalent average speed of about 1,200 mph. smile Go to YouTube and search for "skysurfer5cva" to find this and other time lapses I have put together.

In between time lapse sequences I also did some "regular" photography. Following are a few examples, starting with a classic view of Half Dome from Stoneman Bridge. There is a little snow on top from a recent storm. This weekend's storm series will drop a lot more.

January 2, 2011 08:06 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite in Winter

Posted By Fred Lusk

Our new family tradition, started in 2008, is to spend December 27 in Yosemite and have lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel. This year there wasn't as much snow as in the past two years, in spite of having a much stormier (though warmer) December. Here are a few shots I took in Yosemite Valley. My new Olympus E-5 will do in-camera black & white, so I did a few.

Why December 27? I guess we needed a holiday after Boxing Day. smile

This photo shows the north wall of Yosemite Valley from Yosemite Falls to North Dome…after the earthquake. 8)

Fred

January 2, 2011 08:10 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite Falls in Winter

Posted By Fred Lusk

Again on December 27. Because of all the rain and storms of the past several weeks, Yosemite Falls was running more like spring than winter. Here is Yosemite Falls in B&W.

Fred

January 2, 2011 08:16 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite in Winter - Details

Posted By Fred Lusk

It snowed the day before, so tree branches still had lots of snow on them.

March 13, 2011 10:40 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Yosemite (of course)

Posted By Fred Lusk

Yesterday, Yosemite won out over yard work, backwashing the pool filter, and several other chores I didn't want to do. I shot mostly B&W (a feature built into my new Olympus E-5), but I shot some color also.

This is my favorite B&W from yesterday: the bottom of Upper Yosemite Falls and a loney tree.

Grandpa Fred