My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Carlos E. Hernandez

August 10, 2004 12:28 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Uranus Observation (August 10, 2004)

Posted By Carlos E. Hernandez

I made an observation of Uranus on August 10, 2004 at 06:00 U.T. (CM 239.0). I noted a dusky to dull (4-5/10) albedo feature across the center of the Uranian disk in a north-south direction. The poles appeared to be brighter (6-7/10) than the rest of the disk. I welcome any comments on my observation. The best of luck with your imaging and observation of the planets.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

October 26, 2004 11:44 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Gassendi

I made an observation of the crater Gassendi on July 25, 2004 (04:40-06:20 U.T.). This is very complex crater with much detail over it's floor and rim located on the northern border of Mare Humorum in the lunar southern hemisphere. I have recorded several delicate rilles over the floor. Gassendi A is the smaller crater on top of Gassendi. I welcome any comments that you may have on this observation.

The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

October 27, 2004 11:32 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Lunar Eclipse (October 28, 2004)

I made a visual observation of the lunar eclipse visible from my location (South Florida, USA) at 02:45 U.T. (15 minutes prior to maximum eclipse). I noted a reddish-orange color with small amounts of maroon. The eclipse was a beautiful sight! I hope that everyone in the eclipse zones was able to view it.

Regards,
Carlos

November 2, 2004 02:51 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Posidonius

I made an observation of the prominent walled plain Posidonius (95 km) at the border of Mare Serenitatis on November 2, 2004 (05:45-08:00 U.T.). I noted a significant amount of detail within the plain and surrounding regions. The Rimae Posidonius rille system was very prominent over the floor of the plain. The craters A and C are noted within the walled plain and J, B, and D along the upper (eastern) border. I welcome any comments that you may have on this observation.

The best of luck in your own observations and imaging of the planets and Moon.

Carlos

November 6, 2004 03:07 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Observation (November 5, 2004)

I was able to make an observation of Saturn on November 5, 2004 at 05:45 U.T. and noted a good amount of detail. The South Equatorial Belt (SEB) appeared dark (3/10) and bisected with a thin, shaded to bright (6-7/10) zone. A thin, dusky (5/10) South Temperate Belt (STB) was visible. The South Polar Region (SPR) appeared dusky to dark (3-4/10) with a small, dark (3/10) center. The SPR appears surrounded by a pastel green collar. Ring A appeared dull (5/10) with portions of the Encke Minima visible. Ring B appeared bright (7/10) with it's inner half appearing dusky (4/10). Ring C (Crepe ring) appeared diffuse except for the section crossing the globe (5/10).

I hope that you like this observation. The best of luck in your own observations of Saturn and the rest of the planets.

Carlos

November 9, 2004 11:54 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Observation (November 9, 2004)

I made an observation of Saturn this morning (November 9, 2004 at 06:40 U.T.) at which time the planet revealed much detail considering the average seeing conditions (4-6/10, but with brief moments of 7-8/10). Especially notable was the presence of a white oval (or bay) along the southern border of the South Equatorial Belt (SEB). The SEB was very prominent (3/10) and appeared bisected over it's following half. The South Temperate Belt was thin and dull (5/10). The South Polar Region (SPR) was dusky to dark (3-4/10) with a dark (3/10) center over the pole. A pastel green collar was visible surrounding the SPR. Portions of the Encke Minima was visible during moments of steady seeing with Ring A (4/10). Ring B appeared bright over it's outer half and dusky to dull (4-5/10) over it's inner half. Ring C (Crepe) appeared dusky (4/10) and diffuse.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the planets.

Carlos

November 13, 2004 11:25 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Observation (November 13, 2004)

I made an observation of Saturn on November 13, 2004 at 06:45 U.T. using my 9" F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain under steady seeing conditions (6-8/10). I noted a significant amount of detail when the seeing steadied, as depicted below. The South Equatorial Belt (SEB, 3/10) displayed fine detail throughout, especially along it's northern border (appearing scalloped or undulating). A portion of the South Temperate Belt (STB) was visible preceding and following the CM. The South Polar Region (SPR) was very prominent (3-5/10) along with it's dark (3/10) center (pole) and surrounding pastel green collar. Much variation in brightness was noted over the rings as well. I hope that you all like this observation.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the planets.

Carlos

November 22, 2004 01:12 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Plato Observation (November 22, 2004)

I made an observation of the crater Plato on November 22, 2004 between 02:00 and 04:00 U.T. using my 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain at 344x. I noted at least nine crater-lets over the floor of the large crater (63 miles (101 km) in diameter). I may have noted a few more crater-lets when the seeing steadied. Much detail was noted along the rime of the crater. I welcome any comments on my observation.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observation of the Moon and planets.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

November 30, 2004 10:24 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Janssen

I made an observation of the walled plain Janssen (41.5*E, 44.9*S, 115 miles x 115 miles) on November 30, 2004 between 05:00 and 06:30 U.T. I noted a good amount of detail but was clouded out before completing my observation. I would have liked to finish this interesting observation. The largest crater over the northern section is Fabricius (42.0*E, 42.9*S, 48 miles diameter (78 km)) with Metius (54.2*E, 40.3*S, 55 miles diameter (88 km)) northeast of Fabricius. Rimae Janssen (87 miles (140 km) in length) is prominently noted over the floor of the plain. The smaller craters within the plain, south of Fabricius, are K and L. The crater J is noted over the western section of the plain. Lockyer (36.7*E, 46.2*S, 21 miles (34 km) diameter) is noted over the southwestern section of the plain. I welcome any comments on my my observation.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the Moon and planets.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

December 3, 2004 09:57 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: couple of best Jupiters from 2004

Eric,

Thank you for posting your excellent images of Jupiter from the last apparition. You captured an impressive amount of detail over the planet. May your images from the current apparition be as excellent.

Carlos