My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Carlos E. Hernandez

December 3, 2004 09:58 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Observation (December 3, 2004)

Posted By Carlos E. Hernandez

I made an observation of Saturn on December 3, 2004 at 06:30 U.T. under average seeing conditions (5-6/10, with brief moments of 7/10). The globe of Saturn exhibited much detail as noted, especially a speckled appearance over the South Polar Region (SPR). A pastel green collar was noted below (north) of the SPR. The rings exhibited much variation on brightness, especially Ring B. I welcome any comments on my observation.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the planets.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

December 8, 2004 10:55 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Observation (December 8, 2004)

I made an observation of Saturn on December 8, 2004 at 07:25 U.T. under average to good seeing conditions (5-7/10). The South Equatorial Belt (SEB) was prominent (3/10) with an irregular southern border. The South Polar Region (SPR) was also prominent (3/10) with a very dark (2/10) central condensation. The SPR appeared to be surrounded by a pastel green collar. Ring A appeared shaded to dull (4-5/10) with the Encke Minima visible over the ansae. Ring B appeared dusky (4/10) over it's inner half and bright (7/10) over it's outer half. Ring C (Crepe) appeared dusky (4/10) and transparent. Tethys (10.0m) appeared in front of the planet. I welcome any comments on my observation.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the planets.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

December 9, 2004 07:01 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: Saturn, Dec. 9 2004

Eric,

An excellent image of Saturn showing much detail. I am happy to say that my own observation made the day prior to your image (posted on the forum) shows many of the same features. I look forward to your future images.

Carlos

December 17, 2004 11:14 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Hipparchus

I made an observation of the Hipparchus region of the Moon on December 16, 2004 between 22:00 and 23:00 U.T. I was clouded out before I was able to complete the observation (e.g. lack of features between craters). I believed that this represented an interesting region that was located on the lunar terminator at the time. Hipparchus (5.5*S, 4.8*E) represents a large disintegrated walled plain that measures 93 miles (150 km) in diameter. The crater towards the eastern (right) limb is Lindsay (20 miles (32 km) diameter). I welcome any comments on my observation.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

December 21, 2004 05:13 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Saturn, Dec 21, 2004

Eric,

An excellent image of Saturn showing much detail over the globe and rings. The belts (bands) are clearly recoded from the equator to the pole (SPR). Thank you for sharing.

Carlos

December 21, 2004 11:12 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Clavius

I was able to make an observation of the walled plain Clavius (58.4*S, 14.4*W; 69 miles (111 km)) on December 21, 2004 between 00:00 and 02:00 U.T. The amount of detail visible was very challenging but I believe that I succeeded in recording an accurate depiction of what was noted. The large crater over the northeast rim is Porter (56.1*S, 10.1*W; 32.3 miles (52 km)) while the one over the southeast rim is Rutherfurd (60.9*S, 12.1*W; 29.8 x 33.6 miles (48 x 54 km)). The moderate-sized crater located between Porter and Rutherfurd is D. The chain of craters over the center of the plain are, in order from east to west, are CB, C, N, and J. The two craters over the southwest rim are K and L. The large crater, the majority of which is obscured by shadow, south of Clavius is Blancanus (63.6*S, 21.5*W; 65.3 miles (105 km)). The crater over the northeast rim of Blancanus is D.

The best of luck in your own imaging and observations of the planets. Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Carlos

January 2, 2005 11:26 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Comet Machholz (January 3, 2005)

I was able to make an observation of Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2) through breaks in the clouds on January 3, 2005 at 04:50 U.T. using 7 x 50 binoculars. The comet appeared brighter than I last observed it. I estimate it's magnitude to be close to fourth magnitude (in comparison to Lambda Tauri (3.40) and 30 Tauri (5.06)). The nucleus remains star-like and the coma very extensive. The brightest star closest to the comet, in a clockwise fashion, is HIP18033 (6.28), Lambda Tauri (3.40, edge of field at 4 o'clock), 30 Tauri (5.06), and HIP17049 (6.65). I welcome any comments on my observation. The best of luck in your own observations of the comet.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

January 3, 2005 11:32 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Comet Machholz (January 4, 2005)

I was able to observe Comet Machholz (C/2004 Q2) on January 4, 2005 at 05:10 U.T. using my 9-inch F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain at 97x. The nucleus was star-like and the coma very large and diffuse. I believe that I noted a faint pencil-thin tail in a WSW direction when the seeing steadied for a few seconds. The brightest stars, in a clockwise direction starting from north, are HIP16641 (6.12, edge of field), HIP17058 (6.15), HIP18170 (5.96), HIP18033 (6.28), and HIP16924 (6.37). This has been a very interesting comet to observe and image. I welcome any comments on my observation.

The best of luck imaging and observing this interesting comet.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez

January 5, 2005 11:15 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Machholz and M45

We were all treated to a spectacular view of Comet Machholz and M45 (Pleiades) tonight. The pair produced a breathtaking view through a pair of binoculars. I made an observation of the pair on January 6, 2005 at 05:30 U.T. using my 7 x 50 binoculars at the time. They were separated by approximately 4.5 degrees at the time of my observation.

I hope that everyone else got a look at this pairing as well.

Regards,
Carlos

January 10, 2005 11:43 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Wide Field Machholz/Pleiades

I have created a mosaic of of Comet Machholz and the Pleiades (M45) on January 11, 2005 at 06:00 U.T. using my 7 x 50 binoculars. The pair was separated by approximately 7.5 degrees (or a little larger than the field of my binoculars (7.1 degrees)). I hope that you all like the final product. I welcome any comments on it.

The best of luck in your observations and imaging of this interesting comet.

Regards,
Carlos E. Hernandez