Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

The BBC looks at Florida.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53357742

Maurice

July 16, 2020 09:45 PM Forum: Politics

Replace Biden, Somehow

Posted By Maurice Clark

An account by ABC's North America correspondent after she contracted the virus.  Interesting reading.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-16/recovering-from-coronavirus-in-the-united-states-of-america/12414554

I see that even here in Alabama the governor is finally starting to take the pandemic seriously.  From today the wearing of masks will be mandatory when outdoors.  I wonder how many will do that.  To date less than half the people in shops have been doing that.

Maurice

July 17, 2020 06:19 AM Forum: Politics

Replace Biden, Somehow

Posted By Maurice Clark

Hi Jim,

Ya, that was a typo. Sorry about that.  Have managed to see and photograph NEOWISE several times in the early morning.  Posted a pic on the "Comets" forum a while back.  Will be trying this evening if the clouds stay away.

Received an email from the uni today.  They have made wearing masks compulsory for everyone when indoors and outdoors for gatherings of more than 10 if social distancing is not feasible.

Maurice

PS:- Love you "ranties" suggestion!  

July 17, 2020 11:03 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

Hi James,

I agree with you re Biden and the Democrats.  My guess would be they were trying to find someone acceptable to both wings of the party.

Did you catch a couple of trumptisms the other day?  They were beauts.

In an interview with CBS News he made this comment regarding the decision made in Los Angeles not to immediately reopen schools in September:-

"I would tell parents and teachers that you should find yourself a new person—whoever's in charge of that decision because it's a terrible decision. Because children and parents are dying from that trauma, too. They're dying because they can't do what they're doing."

Maybe with you being a lawyer, you might be able to make sense of that, but I certainly can't.

Or there was this recent tweet:-

"Absentee Ballots are fine because you have to go through a precise process to get your voting privilege. Not so with Mail-Ins. Rigged Election!!! 20% fraudulent ballots?

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 10, 2020"

Obviously he doesn't know that absentee voting IS mail-in despite this being the way he votes.

One last one, though not about trump.  I see that Republican Steve Watkins from Kansas has been charged with three felony counts of voter fraud, related to having registered to vote using a mailbox at a UPS store. I also see he is being investigated for circumventing campaign finance laws.  Trump had strongly endorsed Watkins so maybe he should rethink his endorsement and also if he is really interested in stopping voter fraud he should look to his own party first. Remember North Carolina in the last election?

Cheers,

Maurice

PS:  Do you think this will get a few good ranties?  grin

PPS:  Sorry to spoil this thread by actually mentioning astronomy, but did you manage to see the comet last night.  I had a great view. Easily visible to the naked eye, despite the twilight.  I estimated about mag 3.7 with a 2.5 degree tail.  In 20x80 binoculars, the tail could be followed for about 7 degrees.  Took some nice photos, but have not had time to process them yet.  Will post them in the :Comets" forum once I have done so.

July 18, 2020 05:20 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

Originally Posted by James Brown

We were socked in cloud.  sad  Tonight is a "maybe"
Hi Jim,

That is a shame. Looks like the monsoon is finally kicking in.  Good luck for tonight.  Clear here, but I will be too busy preparing a sermon for tomorrow. The Pastor is sick with the virus so they asked me to preach. Have no idea what to talk about.

Cheers,

Maurice

July 21, 2020 09:52 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

Hi Jim,

Beautiful shot of NEOWISE.  The advantage of high altitude and dark skies!  Glad the weather cleared for you.

But... did you have to send the clouds down here?!?!?!?!?! sad  I managed brief glimpses of the comet between clouds the past 2 nights and tonight is was thunder, lightening and heavy rain!

Here is one I got a few nights back.  15sec Modified Canon D60 100mm F/2.8 Nikon lens

July 22, 2020 08:44 PM Forum: Politics

Replace Biden, Somehow

Posted By Maurice Clark

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

Gotta admit that Scaramucci reference made me laugh.....
For the non-americans, it is possible to get a translation?

July 23, 2020 04:11 AM Forum: Politics

Replace Biden, Somehow

Posted By Maurice Clark

Originally Posted by James Lacey

Anthony Scaramucci is a colorful New York character who had a brief stint as Trump's press secretary, about 9.5 days until a profanity-laced hot-mic moment earned him a quick and iconic, "You're fired!" He was a Trump supporter, but more recently has become a vocal critic and has drawn the ire of Trump denizens. At the time of his dismissal, the Trump administration was having a dizzying amount of turn-over with people coming and going in a matter of months. So, that was the genesis of the unit of time a Scaramucci! It measured about 9.5 - 10 days and was used to measure how long people had lasted in the Trump administration.
Thank you for the translation. smile

July 23, 2020 04:23 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

Another beautiful shot Jim.  Well done. 

I managed a brief look at the comet Sunday night between the clouds. This time I went north of town so the light pollution was not so bad. The comet was definitely fainter, but the tail appeared longer. I could see about 7 degrees with the naked eye and about 11 degrees with the binoculars. Possibly the tail is getting more side-on as the comet passes the Earth.  Hoping to see it tonight because after tonight it will be receding from both the Earth and the Sun, so it could fade fairly quickly. 

Here are a couple of pics I took.  This one is 15 seconds on a modified 60D using a 100mm f/2,8 lens.

July 23, 2020 04:24 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By Maurice Clark

Another one a little later.  Still with the 100mm lens. This one 30 seconds.