Posts Made By: Daryl Crowley

July 12, 2004 12:16 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Great night Saturday.

Posted By Daryl Crowley

I finally had a great night of viewing when I could actually get out this past Saturday. I cannot say enough about the joys of my observing chair I built. For the first time I could actually spend as much time as I wanted studying my targets. Before the adjustable chair I could never spend a long time looking because some muscle or another would be bent out of shape, but now I can spend all the time I need teasing out that extra detail.

It was a great night and made all the better by that chair. It is apparent to me now that an adjustable observing chair is required equipment, right up there with eyepieces!

Daryl

July 13, 2004 12:32 PM Forum: Religion

Why must God be omnipotent?

Posted By Daryl Crowley

To expand on a point in an earlier thread.

Assume there is a creator and the creator created at least our Universe and created life, ours as well as any other in the Universe.

Why do some demand that the Creator be omnipotent? Why can't God have great powers yet bound by the laws of physics. (For example assume he can't reach out and catch a falling plane full of nuns and children.)

I think the "all powerful", "all knowing", "just will it done", image of God was designed by those that wanted to impress the masses that their God was THE God.

If we assume there is a creator then I think that there is plenty of evidence that God doesn't just will things done, even those that logic would dictate. I think the lack of God's will makes a pretty strong case that in this Universe you can't just go about willing things done. In the Christian faith God had to create a human man to even get a presence on the planet, he didn't just will himself here in the flesh. (Oh but he could have he just didn't want to...")

If for a moment you assume that God has the power to create the Universe and set laws in motion, but also assume that there are limitations, then a lot of what we observe makes more sense in light of a creator. Occam's Razor.

But most believers just balk at the thought of God not having control and pulling the strings of every quark in the universe. I don't think this makes the creator any less magnificent, but the world has been indoctrinated with the "God can do anything" message so long that to suggest otherwise is interpreted to be an all out attack on God. Its all omnipotent or nothing.

Thoughts. (Rational, not emotional. Logical, please don't quote the Bible as proof.)

Daryl

July 21, 2004 12:28 PM Forum: Religion

More than the sum of the parts

Posted By Daryl Crowley

Is the conscious mind more than the sum of the parts?

If your brain and body were reproduced atom by atom would it be exactly you?

Or is there a magnification or quality in a conscious mind that transcends just the constituent components?

Can artificial intelligence become indistinguishable from biological intelligence? If so, would the machine "feel" the same about itself as you do about yourself?

I am not talking a soul or religion here. I'm not talking ghostly spirits after death. This is a purely scientific question.

Daryl

August 5, 2004 12:00 PM Forum: Religion

Philosophical Tidbit

Posted By Daryl Crowley

A buddy at work sent me this. It's not all that profound, but I do like it and maybe perhaps it does say something about life.

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT, SHOUTING "HOLY S#!$....WHAT A RIDE!"

Daryl

August 10, 2004 12:06 PM Forum: Religion

Where are you at on this one.

Posted By Daryl Crowley

After having watched another show on crop circles filled with hippie type spaced out seekers of the great cosmic energy force, I just have to ask.

Given the broad range of skeptics and believers on this forum, are there any of you that think that crop circles are anything more than a bunch of guys yanking these cosmic hippies' chains?

Obviously I think it's bunk. I might have been led to believe that simple circles could be caused by wind or some force but the intricate and complex geometrical patterns are obviously designed. I really don't know how anyone can buy into the supernatural origin of crop circles! Even when people admit to making them and give demonstrations the believers continue to cling to their desire for the supernatural.

Do any of you buy this stuff? If so, what's your take on it?

Daryl

August 11, 2004 12:27 PM Forum: Religion

How about this one?

Posted By Daryl Crowley

Since everyone agrees with me on crop circles, how about Bigfoot, Yeti, etc. Or let's make it a blanket question covering Nessy, alien abduction, poltergeists, Bermuda Triangle, whatever.

Does anybody buy into any of the great unexplained phenomenon? Exclude God from this list please. Does anyone have an unexplained phenomenon that you put any credence into and are willing to argue for? Any pet theories that you have "faith" in?

Daryl

August 11, 2004 12:37 PM Forum: Religion

This will test your faith

Posted By Daryl Crowley

I often read books on both sides of the religious debate. Those that try to support the existence of God in light of science and those that try to dispel a God in light of science. I find the arguements both interesting and entertaining on both sides of the debate.

I just finished The Ghost in the Universe: God in Light of Modern Science by Taner Edis. This book argues against God partially by science but primarily by exploring the origins of the major religions how they evolved to fit political and social needs of the times.

While this book gives ammunition to the non-believers it is the very type of book that believers should read. If your faith can stand up to such scrutiny then you do have a strong faith indeed. Edis is very well versed Christian, Jewish, and Muslim religions. A good read on the history and origin of religions for both sides of the debate.

Daryl

August 23, 2004 01:48 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

45 vs. 90

Posted By Daryl Crowley

I have battled with myself as to whether my next purchase should be a big DOB or some bigger binos. The binos are winning me over. But of course straight through viewers are out. I love my 15x70s but they are killing my neck.

Question: What are the merits of 45 vs 90 degree viewers?

It would seem the 90 degree would offer better access, i.e. less neck strain, but are there any optical disadvantages?

I have never used either on binoculars so I'm open to suggestions.

Daryl

September 10, 2004 12:04 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

The Veil at Last! Sort of...

Posted By Daryl Crowley

In my never ending attempts to catch sight of the Veil I believe I actually saw a piece of it last night.

I was scanning the for the Veil, which was directly at zenith, so I figured I might have a chance given the Veil's location and seeing was about an 8 out of 10 last night.

I was using my 15x70 binoculars and I spotted what appeared to me as a slightly circular patch that looked a lot like a distant OC. Upon checking the star maps, there was no similar OC in the area, but the top of the Veil was exactly in that position.

While it hardly qualifies as seeing the Veil, I feel confident that I have at least seen a piece of it, finally.

Daryl

September 10, 2004 12:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dirt Cheap Nebula filters

Posted By Daryl Crowley

I talked with an old astronomy buddy last weekend and he told me their club was buying sheets of material that would work on different wave lengths and that you could get the equivalent of various nebula filters for relatively cheap. Just cut out the size you need!

I'm not sure how they were attaching them to the eyepiece but I am interested in getting some of this material for my big binos.

Anybody know what this stuff is and where you can get it?

If I find out, I will pass it along.

Thanks

Daryl