Posts Made By: Wayne Yaskew

April 16, 2020 11:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

No explanation for the multiple posts.

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

Sorry about the multiple posts. I subscribe to many different news groups and many employ the same software. I used my iPhone to make the post and I got an error saying ”Looks somethings gone wrong”. When I went back to the page, there was my original post and 15 duplicates.

That’s a new one. Is there a way to completely remove a post rather than leaving it to the admin to do?

Regards

W

April 17, 2020 12:24 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Heater / controller vs dew shield.

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

That’s a sweet shield. Wish I’d known about before shelling out $80CDN ($58US) on my Kendrick. It’s nicely made but is essentially just thick plastic lined with thick felt like material. It has Velcro and a bit of foam. 

April 17, 2020 04:37 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Best choice in Tele Vue Delos?

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

I have:

Baader Morpheus 12.5 1.25"
Baader Morpheus 17.5 1.25"
Tele Vue Ethos 21
Tele Vue Nagler 31
Tele Vue Panoptic 41

I'd like to try out a Tele Vue Delos... What size should I get for DSO that will compliment my collection?

The whole Delos line is 1.25" so I'm torn as what to what size to get.... I hear the 17mm is a great eyepiece but would I be better served with say a 10 or 8? If I'm gonna buy a quality hi-mag ocular I want it to not disappoint. I wear glasses and have astigmatism. I have the Dioprx in 2" and would not rather have to spring for a 2nd one in 1.25

Wayne

April 18, 2020 11:50 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

Originally Posted by john raymond
Wayne 
They are all good. I find I like the small size and weight of the Delites better. The high power Delos are large heavy eyepieces. 

In my dob I prefer the 12 Delos over the 13 Ethos. 

I’m sure the whole line is great I just think a 12 or 13 is too close to what I already have invested in the 12.5 Baader Morpheus. 

I will probably pull the trigger on something around 35mm. It will fill a gap. While I would love to get something around nine or 10 mm, it just doesn’t make sense with the C925. Not enough scope to really make a high power ocular pop. 

April 19, 2020 03:05 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Bad astigmatism. Is the Dioptrx system any good?

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

I have bad astigmatism. I think I would require a 4.0 correction. I believe 3.50 the strongest correction Tele Vue makes. 

They are not huge money ($120 or so) but no one needs another pricey trinket if it does not meet expectations. 

Thoughts?

April 20, 2020 09:59 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

Originally Posted by john raymond
Your not going to do better than the 31 NT5 or 41 Panoptic in the low power range. 
Hey John,
I am in a fairly small community and it’s virtually impossible for me to try out different eye pieces before I buy.
In fact my dealer is 800 miles away in Alberta. I’m just trying to get opinions from other enthusiasts as to what’s the best pick for me might be taking into account what I already have in my collection.
I’ve been told the low power I pieces play eyepieces, say 7mm or even 9mm will just result into much blur taking into account by scope (C925) and conditions.

I’d like to fill the gap between 21 and 31. What would you suggest? I’m OK with the cost of say a Tele Vue. I just don’t want to pick the wrong one or a redundant one

April 25, 2020 03:26 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Celestron Skymaster 25x100 part problem.

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

OK, they’re not very good but I’ve had a pair for years that I bought new and barely used due to the weight. 

I bought a parallelogram tripod; Orion Monster (which was a disappointment but that’s another story)

I was doing some simple terrestrial viewing and in an attempt to focus  the right eyepiece unscrewed completely. The lens shaft was exposed with several threads covered in a thick grease. The eyepiece / eye cup (which has no lens) will not screw back in. Upon inspection there are no threads inside to reattach it. 

I assume some sort of threaded ring or part fell out. I was set up on a concrete pad if it fell it could not have gone far but if it existed it could not be found. 

I don’t understand the mechanics behind it and was hoping someone on the group could shed some light. Attempts to reach Celestron or find any info online were equally frustrating. 

Anyone know their binocs? 

April 25, 2020 03:30 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

Here’s a photo of the eye cup

April 27, 2020 02:26 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

After an hour on hold Celestron customer service picked up. They said the problem looked like adhesive failing and allowing the eyecup to come off.

They are replacing the binoculars. I just have to return them and they are even paying shipping both ways. There's a $15 replacement fee. That's it.

Pretty good customer service. I was shocked to hear they do not repair or refurbish. He said they simply dispose of them. Sad. Lots of schools could use nice binoculars. I imagine its the same with a lot of their scopes.

W

May 6, 2020 01:10 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Duplicate post Please remove

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

Duplicate post Please remove