ATWB Customer Gallery

KAYAKING IN MOBILE BAY

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Wayne Yaskew

May 5, 2020 06:11 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Found a great low-dough storage solution.

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

I was considering the Tele Vue soft case (pricey!) and the Orion hard shell. This was a very inexpensive alternative. A camera bag off Amazon. With a little shuffling of the Velcro inserts it fits all 6 of my eyepieces with room for filters, eyecups, my lens cleaner and flashlight. Even has knapsack style straps if my hands are full. Loving the Celestron black & orange theme. To boot; the original plasti-foam inserts from the Tele Vue boxes are perfect for solid protection.

May 5, 2020 06:20 PM Forum: Eyepieces

May 5, 2020 06:22 PM Forum: Eyepieces

May 17, 2020 04:33 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Bad alignment of just old eyeballs?

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

i bought a gently used CPC925 and the dealer said he checked it all out prior to shipping some 800 miles. Packaging was excellent and the scope arrived in the original boxes.

I used it for the first time today, setting the finderscope to a terrestrial object during daylight hours.

At about 11PM I did my first nighttime viewing and used a Panoptic 41. The sky was not pitch black as I live a mile to the north of a prairie city and there was not much to look at, but any star I viewed never came completely into focus. I have terrible astigmatism and I saw tiny triangles around any star I looked at. No moon or planets to view so I packed in in for the evening after being quite disappointed with the experience.

Could my scope be having a collimation problem or is it an eyesight issue? I have not had a scope for over 20 years and my old C8's never seemed to do this. I know my vision has gotten worse but I wear glasses which I removed for some of the viewing.

Would appreciate any insight. Wish I had better eyesight as well. LOL!

W

May 17, 2020 04:59 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Bad alignment of just old eyeballs?

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

I’m running a brand new 2” diagonal. I need to get it under real dark skies before I can tell if it’s the scope or me. Would be pretty crappy to have invested all this money abd not have the vision for it. Going to hold off on a Dioptrx till I get a better handle on it. 

June 27, 2020 06:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron CPC925 vs Evolution 925

Posted By Wayne Yaskew

I have a CPC925 that’s about 15 years old. It works great except for the GPS. The shop I bought it from gave me a great deal on it for this reason. It still works with the database and with a 2 star align process but needs time and date manually entered each time you use it. It’s a great solid scope but would like the GPS issue resolved. I hear it would be a pricey fix and shipping would be (Pardon the pun) astronomical to Celestron for repair. 

A) Anyone else have this problem?

And...

B) I have a chance to pick up an 18 month old Evolution 925 w/ StarSense for a decent price. Is it a good scope or should I stick with the CPC? 

Wayne