My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Douglas Westcott

September 12, 2002 07:30 PM Forum: Home Observatories

portable observatory

Posted By Douglas Westcott

Here are Jim's pictures that I reduced in size so they will post here on AstroMart.

Doug Westcott

Picture 4:

October 2, 2002 11:33 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Manufactured dome recommendations?

I too have been looking. Anyone seen Mooshine dome? They are less money than Home Dome or Sirrus.

Doug

October 28, 2002 02:15 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CLEANING SOLUTIONS FOR COATED LENSES

Kevin, Try Dr Clay's receipe found at www.arksy.org, then click on Guides, then pick the cleaning systems item. Dr. Clay has spent a great deal off effort to get an acceptable cleanoing solution for Meade LX200 UHTC optics which are coated.

Doug W.

November 4, 2002 12:55 PM Forum: Home Observatories

snow on roof ?

Put a heat source in the building and melt the bottom layer of snow, it should then be easy to pull it off with a broom or the like. If you have a propane BBQ grill and it will not smoke up the building, it should do the job very quickly.

Doug W

June 7, 2003 12:20 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Anyone out there Have a Sirius Observatory?

I will be picking up my 2.3M later this week. I saw the 3.5M at NEAF. Yes, the lower portion of the hatch cover is hinged. The dome appears to be well built. Support for Sirius appears to be good. Note that robotic options are not cheap for any of the dome manufacturers. Good luck on your choice.

Doug W.

June 14, 2003 06:26 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Anyone out there Have a Sirius Observatory?

I now have mine all installed. Make sure you get a copy of the Sirius CD as the assembly manual is not very good without seeing the video on the CD.

Doug W.

June 28, 2003 09:48 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Pier height/placement??

Normally the first 15 degrees off the horizon are not used in observatories, there is too much atmospheric distortion. So don't worry about the dome being somwhat higher than the scope, but pay attention to the hieght.

Also a wedge should have an offset pier. The offset is to the south and depends on the wedge and SCT you use. Remeber that the fork arms are tilted which throws off the center point for the scope. With a dome you want the pivot point of the scope to be the center of the dome. My pier is 17 1/2 inches south of the central point, other wedges need only 4-6 inches.

Doug W.

September 12, 2003 03:51 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Observatory lighting

I use 6 traffic light red LEDS plus battery holder (AA) and some switches from Radio Shack. Works just fine, batteries last a long time (50+ hours). Cost was about $20. I can provide pictures if you want.

Doug W

September 15, 2003 09:32 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Re. Pier Placement?

Fork mounted SCTs need to be offste to the south. GEM mounts do not need to be offset.

Doug W.

October 19, 2003 04:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Overpriced Astro Gear

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ for mechanical parts for you scope (large knobs etc). SR44 batteries can be bought from ebay for about $.35 each.

Doug W.