My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Wales

November 22, 2020 05:21 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

The Orion Nebula M42 & Running Man Nebula NGC1977

Posted By Mark Wales

I re-imaged these last night/this morning with more integration time to bring out more of the dust cloud.

Image was not cropped.

It consists of:

86 x 60 sec. exposures, gain 100 (lights), 20 darks, 30 flats, 100 bias frames.

November 23, 2020 03:53 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Rodeo, NM

Posted By Mark Wales

Go Tigers!!!

November 23, 2020 04:11 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My new hobby....

Posted By Mark Wales

I'm 60 y/o and new to this hobby just this year.  I have never looked through a telescope (other than a cheap dime store one) until earlier this year when I purchased an 8" Dobsonian and was so excited to see Jupiter and Saturn for the first time in my life with my own eyes.   The Dob. is fun and I bring it out for the family to enjoy when they visit and take it to our club dark sky nights. 

One of my other hobbies is photography and blending the 2 hobbies is a dream come true as I now enjoy deep sky imaging from my backyard.  

Below is my setup and though it doesn't compare with what others are posting it works for me and I can carry it into the backyard (minus the weights) and sit in the comfort of my living room (or anywhere in the house) and control everything since it's connected to my home network and I use a small 8" tablet...

This is such a great hobby and kick myself for not getting into along time ago...

Cheers!!

November 23, 2020 04:14 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

December 10, 2020 01:39 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Eastern Veil Nebula NGC6992

Posted By Mark Wales

Taken last night from my bortle 4 backyard.  I wanted to get more time on target, but it dropped behind the neighbors house.

28 x 5 min. exposures or 2.3 hours stacked with dark, flat and bias frames.  Sensor cooled to -10 C and 100 gain used.

Astro-Tech AT65EDQ Quadruplet scope
Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount
ZWO ASI533MC-P camera
ZWO ASi120mm mini guide camera and 30mm guide scope
ZWO ASIAIR Pro connected to my home network and control through my Lenovo tablet.
ZWO EAF
ZWO EFW
Optolong L-Enhance Filter

December 10, 2020 11:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Eastern Veil Nebula NGC6992

Posted By Mark Wales

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
Very nice image of one of my favorite objects I like to view with my 16" dob and an 0111 filter plus a wide angle low power eyepiece.
Kudos for actually noting the scope used to image the object, unlike many of the posters in the "image of the day"...
This is a huge object that filled the scope/cameras view.  Only a very small crop to clean up the edges of the image.   

Imaging the Western Veil now...

Thank you

December 11, 2020 09:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Western Veil/Witches Broom Nebula NGC6960

Posted By Mark Wales

44 x 180 sec. exposures

Astro-Tech AT65EDQ Quadruplet scope
Sky-Watcher EQM-35 mount
ZWO ASI533MC-P camera
ZWO ASi120mm mini guide camera and 30mm guide scope
ZWO ASIAIR Pro connected to my home network and control through my Lenovo tablet.
ZWO EAF
ZWO EFW
Optolong L-Enhance Filter

December 17, 2020 01:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sky Watcher EQM-35 Pro to HEQ5 Pro?

Posted By Mark Wales

I am thinking about upgrading my current mount to the HEQ5 Pro w/belt drive mod.  At the moment I can carry my current setup out into the backyard without issue and would like to keep it kind of light and portable for this reason. I don't want to have to break it down just to move it for use (other than removing the weights).

Would this be a good upgrade from my EQM-35 Pro?

Thank you