Posts Made By: Jack Day

September 27, 2011 06:34 PM Forum: Politics

Bake Sale anyone?

Posted By Jack Day

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/27/us/california-racial-bake-sale/

This will likely set off some folks hot buttons, so please keep it civil...

Personally I think that preferential treatment based on race / gender / etc. is wrong. It was wrong when it occurred in our nations past, and it is wrong now. It seems strange to me that it in this case it is okay with the very people who were unfairly treated in the past because this time it benefits them...

This is a state issue: It would be interesting to hear from those who live in California. I suspect there are already many state social programs dedicated to the education of those in "need", minority or otherwise.

So given two equally qualified applicants which should be admitted? I would say either both, as it is a benefit to society to have well educated citizens, or the classic first come first serve.

November 4, 2011 04:21 PM Forum: Politics

lights out...

Posted By Jack Day

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Unable-to-pay-bill-Mich-city-apf-2920161472.html

Personally, I believe that if the citizens took some responsibility for themselves this could actually be a positive change...

December 6, 2011 11:00 PM Forum: Politics

Next time just put a bow on it...

Posted By Jack Day

I love our military, but sometimes they are just STUPID!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/12/06/drone-lost-in-iran-was-joint-cia-military-reconnaissance-plane/

I love this part: "According to a senior U.S. military source with intimate knowledge of the Sentinel drone, the aircraft likely "wandered" into Iranian air space after losing contact with its handlers and is presumed to be intact since it is programmed to fly level and find a place to land, rather than crashing."

Are you kidding me! >sad >sad >sad >sad >sad

January 11, 2012 06:57 PM Forum: Politics

T.O.S. Are they that hard to understand?

Posted By Jack Day

4.2.2. Astromart™ prohibits posting of material which contains racial, ethnic, religious slurs or derogatory epithets, or advocating violence, hate or other language that is offensive; material referencing the sale or distribution of controlled substances, any posting intended to harass another, unsolicited advertising (whether commercial or informational) and unsolicited email or advertisements including, but not limited to adult or dating services placing advertisements (“SPAM”); information about another on-line astronomy classified and/or auction service;

I should think that is pretty clear...

July 6, 2012 11:05 PM Forum: Telescope Making

TMSP Student Telescope Making Program 2012

Posted By Jack Day

Well it is almost time again and we are just about ready for this years program! Last year we built 5" & 10" scopes, and although it was a great success, we decided to do 8" scopes instead of the 10" scopes this year...

Last years thread can be found here:

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=765589

Thought it might be fun to post some of the prep work photos, and will post additional photos as things progress!

First photo: Rick (left) and Craig painting the inside of the 10" sonotube for an 8" scope. The back section is reenforced with a second piece of sonotube glued in doubling the thickness of the tube to better support the mirror cell.

August 23, 2012 04:41 PM Forum: Politics

Latest Astromart politics debate captured on Youtu

Posted By Jack Day

I don't know how they did it but here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEBgDZVLfU

8)

July 26, 2002 11:02 PM Forum: Telescope Making

source for cage rings?

Posted By Jack Day

Hi George,

What size scope are you looking to make rings for? I would be happy to cut you some rings and send them your way for the cost of the wood plus shipping. Let me know if you are interested.

Jack

[email protected]

August 26, 2002 05:28 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Ronchi tester

Posted By Jack Day

Hi Sonya,

The easiest way is to simply have a light source, the ronchi grating and something to hold them. Here is what I did, and I can upload a file when I get home after I have lunch. Drill a hole in a small piece of 3/4" or 1/2" plywood. Since I used a "Mini Mag" light that turns on by unscrewing the front I made the hole on the wood such that it would firmly hold the front of the light and I can just turn the back of the light to turn it off and on. Next drill a hole 3/4" to 1" just above that. Say 1/4" or so above. Put simple ronchi grating in front of them and mount the whole thing on something so you can position it properly.

The pictures will help...

Jack

August 26, 2002 08:10 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Ronchi tester

Posted By Jack Day

Ok here is a picture, this is a very basic tester that I just attach to my camera tripod when needed. The only improvements I would make are:

1. A viewing hole that the grating is taped over so that the grating is held straight.

2. one of the larger AA cell mag lites with the new fiber optic neck accessory on it. Or one of the new white led camping mini flashlights that Target carries for ~$6.00.

This type of tester is ok for finding the initial shape and detecting surface errors, but a bit more complex tester on a measurable moving stage is needed for final figuring.

September 22, 2002 07:59 AM Forum: Telescope Making

achromat lens

Posted By Jack Day

Hi Dan,

I have a 4" f/12 scope that I made from a lens set I got from Sky-Objectives. I am very pleased with the quality and color correction of this lens set and would not hesitate to reccommend them. The only issue is that I built my own lens cell. I believe that Sky-objectives does plan to have lens cells available soon. I also believe that there are some domestic sources for a lens cell as well. There is a web site at www.sky-objectives.com so take a look if you are interested. Let me know if I can answer any ?'s for you.

Jack