Posts Made By: Jack Day

September 8, 2010 04:58 PM Forum: Politics

Burn A Koran Day?

Posted By Jack Day

Hmm, interesting question…
Well I guess my take on it would be this: I am getting sick and tired of everyone having to walk on eggshells to prevent pissing off some radical Islamists. Really, is there much of anything about western culture that does not piss them off? They now are able to dictate at will what we can / cannot show on television her in the U.S., i.e. South Park. Yet we are expected to turn the other cheek when they decide to build a new mosque at the 9/11 site in the name of free speech? So now we are going to allow them to exercise their “free speech” / “freedom of religion” rights while telling this other group NOT to exercise theirs. Wow.

Yes, I know and agree both are bad ideas, but when are we going to take a stand against these radicals? Is that not what our troops are there for in the first place? SJS is hard for me to accept. Average people do not just suddenly snap and become killers. Yes there are exceptions, but in the case of SJS these people have been conditioned, and told from birth that the U.S. is the Great Satan…
There was some discussion in an earlier thread about Christianity and Islam and who has killed more people yada yada yada. The difference I believe is that while western culture has transcended this belief, Middle Eastern culture has not. I do not believe that the average Muslim person spends much time plotting to convert or kill nonbelievers, but I suspect and believe that those in power in the Islamic Faith do.

September 9, 2010 06:16 PM Forum: Politics

"It's a National Security Issue"

Posted By Jack Day

The Headline:

NEW YORK -- The imam behind a proposed Islamic community center and mosque near ground zero cautioned Wednesday that moving the facility could cause a violent backlash from Muslim extremists and endanger national security.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf told CNN that the discourse surrounding the center has become so politicized that moving it could strengthen the ability of extremists abroad to recruit and wage attacks against Americans, including troops fighting in the Middle East.

Hell, Burn two or three! Enough of letting radical Islamists dictate to us what can or cannot do!

As to our Military: I suspect that if they are expecting trouble, and it comes, they will be able to deal with it very effectively. Just more targets for them to choose from.

November 2, 2010 07:03 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

Introducing "Infidel" Winter Wear

Posted By Jack Day

Well,

I must admit, that fabric looks like it would make great tube flocking material.

Must be a muslin! The only drawback would be the need to point your telescope at Mecca four times a day to keep it from becoming mad at you and becoming radicalized...

November 24, 2010 12:44 AM Forum: Telescope Making

13" coulter refigure problem

Posted By Jack Day

My first thought is that you need a larger lap. It sounds as if you have a central depression and it is going to be hard to get rid of without perhaps trying a full sized (or very close) lap. Also be sure to check the platform you are grinding on is flat, and that it does not have a depression at the center of the mirror. Also be certain to keep your palms at the center of the lap, do not hold the lap on the outside edges.

December 9, 2010 03:57 PM Forum: Politics

Gasoline Going Up To $4.00/Gallon

Posted By Jack Day

Rod,

I think the problem here rests with the Democrats. They had FOUR YEARS to do something about this and accomplished nothing. Two of those year they had a fillabuster proof majority and a democrat in the White House! I think you need a dose of reality: If the democrats had passed some laws that people agreed with, instead of passing a law that pissed off 60+% of the electorate perhaps they wouldn't have got their butts kicked in the mid term elections. As it is, they took an opportunity to show the American people how inept the Republicans had been, and show that all of the demonizing of liberal policies was a bunch of crap, and acually do some good; and pissed it away.

Then, when the policies they proposed were so far to the left that they could not even get all of the democrats to support them they blamed the right for it!

The truth is in the poll numbers: With the Democrats in charge have they gone up or down?

January 20, 2011 04:17 PM Forum: Politics

Obama's speech falls flat on Democrat Ears....

Posted By Jack Day

Oh, and let's not forget this little gem:

"Blood libel. That's the same kind of thing. The Germans said enough about the Jews and people believed it and you had the Holocaust. We've heard it over and over again on this floor, government takeover of health care. Politifact, non-partisan, Pulitzer Prize winning 2009 St. Petersburg times said the biggest lie of 2010 was government takeover of health care because there is no government takeover," said Cohen.

So Palin gets excoriated and admonished by the press and Democrats for using the term when she was directly blamed for the AZ shootings, and week later we now have a Democratic Congressman saying it about the ENTIRE Republican party!

"I didn't compare the Republicans to Nazis," Cohen told CNN Wednesday.

He of course insists that he was not directly calling Republicans Nazis. Oh no... He was just saying they are like Goebels, and Germans who said enough lies about the Jews and led to the Holocaust.

Comepletly different.......... :S

May 26, 2011 10:24 PM Forum: Politics

Seriously, I didn't do it...

Posted By Jack Day

That is funny. Wall hangings can make for interesting backgrounds...

8)

June 28, 2011 10:14 PM Forum: Eyepieces

ES14MM VS Meade 14mm/Pinos Notes

Posted By Jack Day

Rob,

Thanks for the review. I picked up one of the old style ES30 eyepieces while they were on closeout, and after a little weight reduction operation involving removing the "Twist up cup" feature it is my favorite eyepiece by far. (and 10 oz lighter too!)

This year at the Table Mountain Star Party I am hoping to have my first view through a 100 degree plus eyepiece. I just have to be sure to leave all of the credit cards at home... 8)

June 29, 2011 04:44 PM Forum: Politics

Censorship!

Posted By Jack Day

I kind of see it this way:

Just because you can do something, does not always mean you should. Our military is engaged in hostilities all over the world right now. Drone attacks are killing kids, and we, the general public seem to be okay with that. Even the Bush haters don't seem to mind that Obama has not stopped this activity. Why? Violent video games are just an indicator of our societal standards. Hard to condemn a game, when our government sanctions it in real life. On the other hand, just because you can produce and sell violent games to kids does not mean you should.

August 2, 2011 06:26 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Student Telescope Making at TMSP

Posted By Jack Day

A 5 inch scope getting started: