New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jack Day

November 1, 2004 10:57 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Headin' South

Posted By Jack Day

Hey all,

I am heading down to the Tuson / Mesa Arizona area this comming weekend and was wondering if there was anyone down there that might be going out observing that I might be able to tag along with... Will make a short hop over to Anaheim on the 9th & 10th then back to Mesa on the 11th.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

November 2, 2004 01:20 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

DSO in Arizona

Posted By Jack Day

Hey all,

I am heading down to the Tuson / Mesa Arizona area this comming weekend and was wondering if there was anyone down there that might be going out observing that I might be able to tag along with... Will make a short hop over to Anahiem on the 9th & 10th then back to Mesa on the 11th.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

February 15, 2005 04:54 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Can anyone help me identify this diagonal?

Posted By Jack Day

It is from a C-8 and screws onto the back of the OTA. It has two screw on adapters, one for a 2" visual back and one for a 1 1/4" visual back or other accessories. It is also collimatable...

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jack

June 13, 2005 06:31 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Telescope Optics Workshop 2006

Posted By Jack Day

Hi all,

The Telescope Optics Workshop in Bellingham, Wa. is back on for 2006. Planning for the workshop is underway now, and we are looking for idea's and input for some workshop events. Kreig Mcbride has ask met to put together a program on optimizing telescope optical systems for visual use. The objective of the program is to invite ATM's to bring their scopes to the workshop and exchange ideas on topics such as:

Improved stray light control through flocking, baffling, better paints etc.

Benefits and drawbacks of varied spider designs. (3 vs. 4 vs curved vane(s)).

Thermal management.

Proper Collimation.

Secondary sizing. (And other thoughts suggested.)

After having a chance to look over the scopes that are brought in, we hope to have an artificial star system set up to allow us to compare (under a controlled environment) the scopes to see just how well, or not, various methods work.

Idea's and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

June 13, 2005 06:33 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Telescope Optics Workshop 2006

Posted By Jack Day

Hi all,

(I have posted this in the Telescope Making forum as well, please post any thoughts, comments or ideas there! Thanks...)

The Telescope Optics Workshop in Bellingham, Wa. is back on for 2006. Planning for the workshop is underway now, and we are looking for idea's and input for some workshop events. Kreig Mcbride has ask met to put together a program on optimizing telescope optical systems for visual use. The objective of the program is to invite ATM's to bring their scopes to the workshop and exchange ideas on topics such as:

Improved stray light control through flocking, baffling, better paints etc.

Benefits and drawbacks of varied spider designs. (3 vs. 4 vs curved vane(s)).

Thermal management.

Proper Collimation.

Secondary sizing. (And other thoughts suggested.)

After having a chance to look over the scopes that are brought in, we hope to have an artificial star system set up to allow us to compare (under a controlled environment) the scopes to see just how well, or not, various methods work.

Idea's and thoughts are welcome!

Thanks

August 22, 2005 05:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Looking for a parts source..

Posted By Jack Day

Hi All,

I am trying to find an online source for a 2" long piece of threaded brass rod (Metric M4) and two brass thumb nuts.
I found I can get 1 meter of rod from McMaster-Carr, but that is overkill and they don't have M4 thumbnuts...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jack

April 1, 2006 07:25 AM Forum: Eyepieces

30mm & 35mm 2 inch Orion Stratus eyepieces

Posted By Jack Day

Got my new Orion Catalog today. There was a little suprise on the inside cover. 2 inch stratus eyepieces. I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later... Anyone going to take the plunge? Can't wait to see some reviews! grin

Jack Day

May 13, 2006 01:06 AM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

My latest addition: 10 inch Meade Lightbridge -Mod

Posted By Jack Day

I am in the process of rebuilding my 14" f/5.4 dob, and needed something to help get me throught the night so to speak. I also wanted something a little smaller / shorter that would work well for education outreach which I do a lot of in our local schools. Not sure why, but I decided on the Meade 10 inch Lightbridge (deluxe version). Of course being an "out of the box" scope does not sit well with us ATM folk, so a few small modifications had to be made. Touch up the inside tube rings with flat black paint, add a two speed crayford focuser (Really Awesome!), oh and did I mention modify it for encoders? It is ready to go now, and I am really looking forward to using the tar out of it.

Of course there is always more to do, make a shroud and ad a Virtual "Spring" counterweight system. But for now, Time to take it out and see how it does in the wild...

Cheers & Clear Skies -Jack

May 22, 2006 04:00 AM Forum: Star Parties

NWRAL Star Party

Posted By Jack Day

Once again the North West Region of the Astronomical League will be having a star party here in the North West. This years party will serve as an organizational event to plan our future Star Parties based on the input and ideas of the members of our region. It will be on June 23rd & 24th, at the site used by the Klickitat County Star Party. OF course there will be some observing too! For more information please check out the new NWRAL website: http://www.nwral.org

We hope you can make it!

Clear Skies

Jack Day
Secretary -NWRAL

June 11, 2006 04:56 AM Forum: After Dark

Jupiter Tonight

Posted By Jack Day

Every once in a while you step back from a scope and just think "Wow." I am having one of those nights tonight. The seeing in the Wenatchee valley is usually terrible. Tonight it is just mostly terrible, but even so I have had the absolute best views of Jupiter and the GRS I have ever had through any scope. Sadly it was not through my 14" scope who's mirror I ground myself. (It is currently being rebuilt.) I am using a 10" Meade Lightbride, which is my "get me by until the 14" is finished" and childrens outreach scope.

Soon the shadow tranisit of Europa will begin. I cannot wait! Woohoo!

15 min to go..