New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jack Day

June 14, 2006 01:59 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Looking for 1" MA secondary mirrors

Posted By Jack Day

Hi All,

I am helping with a youth telescope making project at the Table Mountian Star Party this year. We are putting together 4 or 5 telescope kits (5" f/8) and need to find some secondary mirrors as I only have two that are in good enough shape to be used. Any idea's on where I can find some 1" minor axis or so secondaries would be helpful. Oh, and of course we are on a tiny budget as the scopes are going to be used for kids doorprizes.

TIA!

Jack Day

June 23, 2006 11:33 AM Forum: Star Parties

NWRAL Star Party Starts TODAY!

Posted By Jack Day

The North West Region of the Astronomical League would like to remind \ invite anyone interested to our first star party! It starts tonight 6/23/06 and is open to anyone interested. It is being held near Goldendale, WA in South Central Washington State. More info at:

http://www.nwral.org

Cost is $10 / night per person over 18.

18 & under are free.

Thanks & hope to see some of you there, the weather is going to be fabulous. (Fingers Crossed!)

Jack Day
NWRAL Secretary

September 10, 2006 07:53 PM Forum: Star Parties

N.W.R.A.L. Youth Star Party! We need your Help!

Posted By Jack Day

Hi All,

The North West Region of the Astronomical league is holding our first ever youth star party. All are welcome, but the programming is youth oriented. We are late in getting the word out, so we are asking anyone willing to help to tell friends and/or family that might be interested about this event. Details below!

Greetings from the Northwest Region of the Astronomical League

This announcement is to inform you and all the members of your club about our most exciting event of the year. Our first annual Fall Youth Fest will be held at Skyview Acres in Goldendale, Washington starting Friday, September
22nd thru Sunday, September 24th.

This event is catered specifically to all kids 18 and under. There will be many hands on educational activities plus special evening programs using green lasers and a walk around with student mentors. The kids of this star
party will have complete priority along with utilizing specialized mentors to help them in any way. Friday night will be an open arrival night (so white lights and round tables will be the agenda). Activities start early on
Saturday and go into the night. A tentative schedule of activities is available on our web site.

Help us initiate this star party with the kids in our region. Anyone is welcome and encouraged to attend. Cost is $10 per adult per night. All kids 18 and under are free! Please pre-register for this event. A link to
registration is available on the our web site @ http://www.nwral.org . Money will be collected upon arrival. Youth must be accompanied by an adult.

We hope to see many of you there as it is our hope that this event will launch a new beginning designed specifically for the youth of our region. This event is also aimed at introducing the NWRAL Youth Program which has
been in the workings for 2 plus years. The NWRAL Youth Program is unique in every way and provides activities and lesson plans for certification and regional awards! Details will be available at the star party.

Come one, come all. Join us for the last warm weather star party of the year.

Thanks, and hope to see you there!

October 31, 2006 08:28 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Hubble Repairs back on the table!

Posted By Jack Day

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_sc/shuttle_hubble

WooHoo!

October 31, 2006 08:30 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Hubble Space Telescope- To be repaired!

Posted By Jack Day

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_sc/shuttle_hubble

Looks like NASA has put repairing Hubble back on the table!

January 22, 2009 03:06 PM Forum: Politics

Blazing Saddles....

Posted By Jack Day

This forum has been without a moderator for a while. In many ways chaos has ensued.

I have been voicing some concerns over the tone around here lately with the "Big Cheese" and he asked if I would be willing to help out. Restore some order if you will.

So I guess I am the new Sheriff in town. So if you feel there is something I should know about please let me know and I will do my best to take appropriate action.

Cheers & Clear skies.

Also, any blatant TOS violating posts will be removed from here on out. Personal or group attacks in ANY form will not be tolerated.

Thanks!

January 23, 2009 11:21 AM Forum: Politics

Re: The king has no cloths

Posted By Jack Day

I think he just learned an important lesson about the press.

His intentions were very good. Say hello and get aquainted.

Press is rabbid and sometimes (Sarcasm here)are a bit over aggressive in trying to get a story. Of course that is what they are paid for, so what else would you expect.

January 27, 2009 11:36 AM Forum: Politics

Has the King left the building?

Posted By Jack Day

I am just wondering, now that Obama is serving as our first "black" president, will he replace MLK Jr as the most influential figure in the black community. I am not trying to suggest that it is good or bad...

Just curious.

January 29, 2009 04:15 PM Forum: Politics

And now for something completely different:

Posted By Jack Day

A bunny with pancakes on his head!

Just something to lighten the mood around here! 8O

February 10, 2009 02:41 PM Forum: Politics

Tax cut's and Stimulus checks?

Posted By Jack Day

So here is the question...

Remember back during the campain how Obama was going to lower taxes for everyone under $200k and would not raise taxes on those of us (not me) making up to $250k? (This was marketed as a "Tax Cut".) What is happening with that now?

Also, are we average folk going to be getting any money out of this stimulus package? As I recall the debt load will be $32,000.00 per person (man, woman & child).

I just want to make SURE I understand this: My family would get a one time $1000.00 "Stimulus / tax cut" payment under Obama, but my family of five will owe $160,000.00 to cover this "stimulus" package. So my families net "gain" is -$159,000.00. That is a NEGATIVE value for those not sharp at math...

But on the bright side, after that wonderful speech by Obama last night, and passing the stimulus bill in the Senate, the DOW Jones was up -400 points! wink (That is NEGATIVE 400 points)

Wow, I sure am glad we got those nasty conservatives out of power, this is MUCH better!