New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jack Day

February 10, 2009 02:49 PM Forum: Politics

CNN front page says it all...

Posted By Jack Day

Stocks tumble after bailout announcement
Stocks slumped today, with the Dow ending at a three-month low, as the government's bank rescue plan failed to reassure investors burned by the 14-month old recession. The Dow Jones industrial average lost 382 points, or 4.6 percent, according to early tallies. The bailout plan "was a huge disappointment," one economist told CNNMoney.com.

I not sure how much more "Stimulus" my 401K can take.... 8O

February 13, 2009 09:45 AM Forum: Politics

Change you can believe in?

Posted By Jack Day

Was just reading about the "Stimulus" bill on CNN's website. So back during the campaign Obama told us to check out his tax calculator and see how much better his plan was for us middle class folks than was McCain's. According to that calculator, which I used again TODAY under McCain's plan I would get a $1000.00 tax cut. Under Obama it would be $1,800.00.

Okay so lets see what that change looks like now:

In the Stimulus bill My wife and I get a total of $800.00. Suddenly less than half of what was promised, and less than McCain's plan. But it gets better.. Instead of giving us a lump sum that we could use to help with remodeling our home, we will get $15.00 every two weeks for a year. This is like getting a "Big Mac Meal once a week" dimulus plan.

Strangely enough I don't see this making ANY difference in the long run, short run or any other run what so ever...

Looks like change is all this is, as in pocket change. Have fun spending that whoppin' $7.50 a week guys & gals!

February 19, 2009 01:29 PM Forum: Politics

We don't need no stinking moderation!

Posted By Jack Day

Per two requests, the thread about the offensive cartoon, and the discussion that followed, has been deleted.

Personal or group attacks on each other in ANY form will not be tolerated.

4.2.2. Astromartâ„¢ prohibits posting of material which contains racial, ethnic, religious slurs or derogatory epithets, or advocating violence, hate or other language that is offensive / any posting intended to harass another (person).

March 3, 2009 01:23 PM Forum: Politics

H.R. 45 The end of the 2nd Amendment?

Posted By Jack Day

First, is it real?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/blairholt.asp

Likely to pass, no. But I suspect there will be similar efforts that will.

What do you all think?

March 19, 2009 09:00 AM Forum: Politics

Are there mulligans in politics?

Posted By Jack Day

I don't think so...

The idea held by democrats in congress that individuals that receive bonuses from companies that received bail out money should be taxed at 90%, and the States / local Gov. can take the remaining 10% is complete and utter B.S.

The democrats in congress rushed this bailout through and did not give anyone time to read the bill, and Dodd, (one of their own) put the provision in the bill! Nice. Also, what's up with the "lets punish the employee" and not the company idea? It was not the employees fault. This is like having a company fail, and the Gov. going out and taking away the homes of the employees...

Someone will surely jump in now and defend the Democrats in this. There will be an argument raised that industries that receive federal bailout money should not be paying out this kind of money, "Bonus" or not, to anyone. Go ahead, I already have my rebuttal ready.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_go_co/aig_outrage

May 29, 2009 09:13 AM Forum: Politics

Hey all you crackers!

Posted By Jack Day

Well, you won't see this on CNN:

Charges Against 'New Black Panthers' Dropped by Obama Justice Dept.

In other words: Voter fraud and intimidation is perfectly ok as long as it supports and aids the election of the Democratic cantidate.

"A poll watcher who provided an affidavit to prosecutors in the case noted that Bartle Bull, who worked as a civil rights lawyer in the south in the 1960's and is a former campaign manager for Robert Kennedy, said it was the most blatant form of voter intimidation he had ever seen."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

"Bull wrote "I watched the two uniformed men confront voters and attempt to intimidate voters. They were positioned in a location that forced every voter to pass in close proximity to them. The weapon was openly displayed and brandished in plain sight of voters. He also said they tried to "interfere with the work of other poll observers ... whom the uniformed men apparently believed did not share their preferences politically," noting that one of the panthers turned toward the white poll observers and said "you are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker."

Here's the best part: The Obama administration won the case last month, but moved to dismiss the charges on May 15:

The Justice Department was successful in obtaining an injunction that prohibits the defendant who brandished a weapon outside a Philadelphia polling place from doing so again. Claims were dismissed against the other defendants based on a careful assessment of the facts and the law. The department is committed to the vigorous prosecution of those who intimidate, threaten or coerce anyone exercising his or her sacred right to vote.

Boy, I sure am glad the Obama Justice Dept. put its foot down. I mean, a restraining order is almost as harsh as community service or a parking ticket. I am sure these guys have learned their lesson and we all can sleep better now!

June 5, 2009 11:24 PM Forum: Politics

Don't Go there...

Posted By Jack Day

In the past few weeks Jim Babcock has been asked / told to / suggested to (no less than three times) stop posting his thoughts and or comments on this forum. Once in the name of "health" and twice by different folks because they did not agree with his position and accused him of being a troll. This is very simple; if you don't like his post's, or any one elses for that matter, then don't read them, and certainly don't reply.

If you have a problem with this please take it up with Herb, and tell him that I am being unfair. See how far that flys and let me know.

Otherwise, any posts asking or sugesting that members should leave will be deleted.

While it may be true that the democrats are in control of the Senate, House, Whitehouse and soon perhaps the Supreme Court as well, Astromart and this forum is not. All viewpoints will be and should be allowed here.

June 9, 2009 02:09 PM Forum: Politics

Yeah! Obama is now God!

Posted By Jack Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCRi22jPw-k&feature=player_embedded

He is "The One" afterall. I will sleep better tonight. This proves once and for all there is NO bias in the MSM at all. :S

June 10, 2009 11:12 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Mirror cell for 17.5 inch f/4.5

Posted By Jack Day

Hi all,

I have been trying to use Plop to figure out a mirror cell for my 17.5" mirror. I am debating between a 6 point, 9 point and 18 point cell.

mirror diameter = 444mm
fl = 2000mm
Secondary = 80mm
Mirror thickness = approx. 38mm

Can anyone help me understand what plop is trying to tell me?

It looks like the 6 point cell is better than a 9 point cell, but the 18 point is better yet, as I would expect. But is the 6 point cell good enough?

Thoughts?

June 11, 2009 10:38 PM Forum: Politics

Now would be a good time to...

Posted By Jack Day

Bad Donkeys!!

Stay on topic and stop the personal attacks.

When a thread (or part there of) is hijacked and becomes a hot bed for personal attacks I will remove all offending posts.

I am not perfect, and do not read EVERY post in this forum. Please let me know if I miss something.

If you think I am full of crap, fine. I am ok with that. Go cry to Herb and have me removed.

Thanks.