Anyone looked at these yet?

http://www.telescope.com/control/category/~category_id=tbdt

They are a bit out of my budget...

8O

January 7, 2010 09:01 AM Forum: Politics

He Lies! Again.....

Posted By Jack Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNJo0IcJ5oY

Wow, talk about your role reversal.... This is going to be bad news for Obama come 2012...

January 07, 2010
Sources: Obama OKs Taxing High-End Health Plans

Associated Press

In a meeting, the president expressed his preference for the insurance tax contained in the Senate's health overhaul bill, but largely opposed by House Democrats and some labor unions.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama signaled to House Democratic leaders Wednesday that they'll have to drop their opposition to taxing high-end health insurance plans to pay for health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.

In a meeting at the White House, Obama expressed his preference for the insurance tax contained in the Senate's health overhaul bill, but largely opposed by House Democrats and organized labor, Democratic aides said. The aides spoke on condition of anonymity because the meeting was private.

January 7, 2010 09:18 AM Forum: Politics

But Wait! There's More!

Posted By Jack Day

Rev. Wright: Obama A Politician:

WRIGHT: It went down very simply. He's a politician, I'm a pastor. We speak to two different audiences. And he says what he has to say as a politician. I say what I have to say as a pastor. But they're two different worlds. I do what I do. He does what politicians do. So that what happened in Philadelphia where he had to respond to the sound bytes, he responded as a politician.

Then he later clarifies: (Answer starts at 5:35)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qERRO5rXUuk

January 12, 2010 09:42 AM Forum: Politics

Peace Talks? I don't think so!

Posted By Jack Day

U.S. Rejects N. Korea's Peace Talks Proposal
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea and the Bush administration today rejected North Korea's proposal to start peace talks to formally end the Korean War, with Seoul saying Tuesday that can happen only after the North rejoins disarmament talks and reports progress in denuclearization...

January 12, 2010 04:43 PM Forum: Politics

Palin free zone?

Posted By Jack Day

I am so tired about hearing both good and bad about Palin. It is enough to choke on. Can we move on to something that is actually worth discussing?

January 17, 2010 08:35 PM Forum: Politics

Liberals need to stand up for what is right.

Posted By Jack Day

Really,

Is this healthcare, no wait, health insurance reform, really what you all had in mind?

What EXACTLY is this new law going to improve? There is plenty of room for improvement in healthcare access, but this law does not address any of it! No, instead it only mandates people to be insured. Great, so now your insured. Whoopty do. That and a couple of bucks will get you a latte I guess. "Insurance does not equal care." Who exactly is going to provide the care for these 40 million people?

New York Times: Shortage of Doctors an Obstacle to Obama Goals

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: April 26, 2009
WASHINGTON — Obama administration officials, alarmed at doctor shortages, are looking for ways to increase the supply of physicians to meet the needs of an aging population and millions of uninsured people who would gain coverage under legislation championed by the president. The officials said they were particularly concerned about shortages of primary care providers who are the main source of health care for most Americans....

Where will everyone go with their new insurance? Same place they were before, the ER. Cost savings? I don't think so..

More recent headlines:

USA Today: Doctor shortage looms as primary care loses its pull 8/18/2009

"Considering it takes 10 to 11 years to educate a doctor, the drying up of the pipeline is a big concern to health-care experts. The AAFP is predicting a shortage of 40,000 family physicians in 2020, when the demand is expected to spike. The U.S. health care system has about 100,000 family physicians and will need 139,531 in 10 years. The current environment is attracting only half the number needed to meet the demand."

CNN 12/11/2009: Primary care shortages hitting communities hard
By John King, CNN Senior National Correspondent

"We're overwhelmed," Belanger says. "And we hate that. But at some point you have to go home."

He watches the health care debate in Washington with one major priority: incentives to make entering family and general practice more attractive -- and more affordable.

Is that in the bill?

Better yet, why don't you see what they found in Massachusetts when they went to a public health system:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97620520

NPR Nov. 30 2008 Mass. Health Care Reform Reveals Doctor Shortage

Health care reform in Massachusetts has led to a dramatic increase in the number of people with health insurance. But there's an unintended consequence: A sudden demand for primary care doctors has outpaced the supply.

What did that lead to???
Primary Care From The ER

Well, what exactly is this new law going to give us? Other than forcing more people to the EVIL private FOR PROFIT insurance companies? Seems to me those of you that support this bill need to take a breath and step back from this POS "reform". How about a rubric that you can use to assess the reform:

1) Does it provide care to those in need?
2) Does it reduce costs and waste in the health care system?
3) Does it improve access?
4) Does it encourage & reward healthy lifestyle?
5) Is it fair and equitable to all?

January 27, 2010 08:43 AM Forum: Politics

Goodnight Moon

Posted By Jack Day

Nasa will be scaling back and the Constellation program is now at an end. No return to the Moon for the U.S. anytime soon. Perhaps we can lease some lunar real estate from the Chinese...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-no-moon-for-nasa-20100126,0,2770904.story

March 21, 2010 08:14 PM Forum: Politics

March 25, 2010 09:38 AM Forum: Politics

A funny thing happened on the way to....

Posted By Jack Day

the politics forum today....

Earlier this year I did not want this forum hijacked on a discussion about Islam, and today I have to be fair and apply the same rules now. Of course I take the blame if I moderate too much or too little; and even better is that everyones idea's of those are different. So no matter what I do, I am hosed. So if we can all behave and show some restraint then everything would just be peachy! (Don't 'cha think?)

I miss our daily Sarah Palin bashing session. Perhaps we can bring those back! grin

March 25, 2010 10:21 AM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

.40 S&W

Posted By Jack Day

Hi all,

I have been thinking about picking up a new pistol. I had a .40 S&W a few years back, had kids, was short on cash…. Well, you get the idea. I had a EAA Witness .40 semi compact, and really liked the size / feel of the CZ cloned pistols(s).

One pistol I would really like to try / hear about are the IMI / IWI / Magnum Research / Jericho 941 / Baby Desert Eagle pistols. Did I miss any of the names they are imported under? (Good Grief. 8O ) As I understand it there have been a few variants, and some are excellent, some not so much. I like the exposed hammer, and the de-cocking feature as well as the heavier metal frame. I would not plan to use this is a CCW, but I am open to considering a polymer frame.

Another pistol I am interested in is the Sig P-229. I have seen factory refurbed Sigs going for about $550.00. They sound like good deal, but I am not sure what the word on the street is about these. Of course a new Sig would likely be the best choice, but I am always open to other ideas.

Any thoughts?