My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jake Jacobson

November 10, 2003 12:23 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Pentax XW vs. Pentax XL

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Anyone had a chance to compare these yet? I am wondering how light transmission is affected in the new XW's with the increased number of elements.

-Jake

November 11, 2003 03:14 PM Forum: Religion

Happy Veterans Day from GWB!

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Today, GWB placed a wreath on a veteran's memorial to commemorate Veterans Day in a touching ceremony.

I am so glad that W made this public gesture, since he has been so supportive of veterans. Since his taking office, Bush has:

-Cut combat pay for soldiers.

-Compromised health care, and threatened to eliminate public schools for domestic military families.

-Fought efforts to give veterans adequate health care and protect their retirement pay when they are disabled.

All this from a man who went AWOL during his own service in the Air National Guard.

November 18, 2003 03:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

It Arrived!!!

Posted By Jake Jacobson

I was very excited to see that my new toy arrived today! I tried it out on the sun, and it appears very sharp edge to edge.

Physically, it is very similar to the XL. It does seem that they improved the eyeguard a bit - it is easier to adjust. Also, it now comes in a "bolt style" container, instead of the old plastic box.

Can't wait to try it out under the stars this weekend!

-Jake

December 15, 2003 12:55 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Setup for solar observing

Posted By Jake Jacobson

I recently received my Kendrick solar filter with Baader film for my 90mm scope. Wow - these filters are alot of fun!

-Jake

January 8, 2004 12:00 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Visual observation of Encke division?

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Hi -

I am currently taking a break from observing. The seeing is incredible tonight, best I have seen in a year. I am currently observing Saturn at 500x, and the atmosphere is as stable as a rock.

My question: I can easily see a second division in the rings where the Encke is - I have never been able to visually see a division here before, but I am definitely seeing one. Is it possible to see the Encke with an 8" aperture scope, assuming good seeing and good optics? I know what I am seeing, I just have a hard time believing it.

-Jake

January 9, 2004 01:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

SATURN: Konus Motormax 130

Posted By Jake Jacobson

It finally cleared up enough for me to try out my new scope, it is the first Maksutov I have ever owned. It showed even diffraction patterns, and good collimation. I am pleased at the image quality for such a little scope. I'm not sure my focus was quite perfect, though. :-(

-Jake

January 20, 2004 02:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M42 - 300d first light.

Posted By Jake Jacobson

This is first light for my 300d at prime focus. Unfortunately, I had a tracking problem which limited my exposure times, and caused "less than round" stars. This is a composite of 2 3-minute exposures, and 1 1-minute exposure of ISO-800 at prime focus of my 8" f/5 newtonian.

I'm happy to see that the 300d is capable of taking some good photos (even if I am not!)

-Jake

January 23, 2004 09:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Leo Triplet - 300d

Posted By Jake Jacobson

This is my first attempt at galaxy imaging with the 300d. Combination of 1 and 2 minute shots, all at ISO-1600. No darks or flats. The scope is an 8" Konus newt on a CG-5, unguided.

-Jake

January 26, 2004 02:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M51

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Another image from last weekend. This is a combination of 2min unguided shots @ ISO 1600 with the 300d and my 8" f/5 newt.

-Jake

January 29, 2004 10:41 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Moon - 300d

Posted By Jake Jacobson

I realized tonight that I have never done much moon photography, so I decided to give it a try. This is a 1/30th sec. exposure at ISO800 with my 130mm Konus Maksutov.

I was maybe a little heavy on the sharpening, but I kinda' like it that way also.

Comments/critiques/pointers from all you moon imaging experts appreciated!

-Jake