Posts Made By: Jake Jacobson

March 24, 2004 06:24 PM Forum: Telescope Making

"JB Weld" for mirror cell?

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Hi -

I am thinking about building a new scope (14"), and am currently trying to figure out if I will be able to do it with the tools I own.

My biggest concern at the moment is the mirror cell, as I don't have welding equipment. I am toying with the idea of using "JB weld" to make the ladder of the cell, instead of actual welding.

Is this feasable, or am I crazy to consider this?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this...

-Jake

March 29, 2004 07:13 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter 03-22-04

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Hi all -

The weather finally cooperated with me enough to get a decent Jupiter image. This has to have been the worst year I have ever had in terms of poor seeing and clouds! I am so glad that others have been posting their excellent images all season long so that I can get my "jupiter fix".

I took this one with my little 5" Maksutov - it is a little champ on planets (when seeing permits!)

-Jake

April 8, 2004 11:23 PM Forum: Politics

April 14, 2004 07:58 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch - 04/14/04

Posted By Jake Jacobson

This is my first time sketching Jupiter, so please excuse the poor rendition. I normally image with CCD, but I wasn't able to setup that equipment tonight, and the seeing was so exceptional that I decided to try my hand at sketching.

Seeing held consistently at around 8, and often "popped in" to 9 or 10.

The most interesting area was along the NEZ, where I observed a very large whitish oval, similar in size and shape to the GRS. Preceding this on the S edge of the NEB was a very dark and large region which bulged S into the NEZ. The S edge of the NEB preceding this also had a "wavy" appearance, with two more areas of "bulge" into the NEZ.

I also observed two main festoons that appeared to be branching through the NEZ. Numerous other fainter festoons were visible, and had an almost "spiderweb" look to them throughout the EZ.

The rest of the major details I tried to capture in my sketch. Observations were made using an 8" f/5 newtonian @250X and 500X. No filters were used.

Comments/critiques appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jake

April 15, 2004 11:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Soft Case for 5" Maksutov???

Posted By Jake Jacobson

I'm looking for a soft case for my Konus 130mm Mak, and have been having a hard time finding anything appropriate. I would like a case similar to that sold with the Orion 127mm (basically a rebranded video bag). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything that fits the dimensions. The interior needs to be at least 7" wide and high, and the length needs to be at least 18".

Has anyone found a suitable soft case for this Mak, or have any ideas on where to find one?

Thanks,

Jake Jacobson

June 23, 2004 12:21 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

M17 - "Swan"

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Taken with a Canon 300d (Digital Rebel), and 8" f/5 newt on a CI-700 mount.
This is a crop from the full-size photo.

June 23, 2004 06:45 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

N. American Nebula

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Here is one from this weekend. Taken w/ Canon 300d and Tamron 70-300 telephoto lens. I had to really pull up the reds since the 300d is not very sensitive to Ha spectrum, and I also had to process out alot of the CA from the lens. This is a stack of 5 images, 5mins each at ISO800, lens was at f/5.

-Jake

June 29, 2004 07:32 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

NGC 4565

Posted By Jake Jacobson

Finally getting around to processing my images from last new moon! This is a stack of (4) 4min exposures at ISO800. Taken with the Digital Rebel and 8' f/5 newt on a CI-700 mount.

This has turned out to be harder to process than I thought it would be - comments or pointers appreciated!

July 13, 2004 07:29 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Sunspots are growing rapidly..

Posted By Jake Jacobson

The number and size of sunspots has been growing rapidly over the past few days. This is the most rapid activity I have seen on the sun in the last year.

I snapped this image today using a 90mm refractor:

July 14, 2004 06:07 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

More sunspot images 07/14/04

Posted By Jake Jacobson

As promised, I took another image this morning of the sun. It appears as though 0649 is growing/merging,