New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Enrico Africa

April 18, 2018 04:04 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

SBIG STF8050C

Posted By Enrico Africa

Originally Posted by James Mark Cunningham
Hello, I bought this CCD color camera and it's my first CCD  imaging. I am not getting the results I was expecting. I am getting better images from my DSLR. Any tips on starting out to get me started? This is said to be a "one shot" camera and cannot get that good of an image.  Do you still have to do multiple images and stack them to get good images? I am mainly interested in deep space, galaxies and nebula. Anyone out there with experience with this camera? I am using it on a Meade 16 inch LX600 F\8.
Thanks in advance with your help!!  Mark Cunningham

Hello,

"Do you still have to do multiple images and stack them to get good images?"

Short answer: Yes

"This is said to be a "one shot" camera..." "One shot" really means you capture color data in one shot. The data downloaded from the camera is still in Raw mode. Each subexposure has to be calibrated (darks and flats), DeBayered, then aligned and stacked. THEN actual final processing done.

Note that I am giving a generic answer, as I don't have this particular camera (but I do have an OSC CCD that I still have to spread its wings on). But I have experience with mono CCD imaging.

HTH,
Eric

May 18, 2018 05:27 PM Forum: How to make AstroMart BETTER!! My idea is.....

Re: NEW ASTROMART - Requires your feedback!

Posted By Enrico Africa

Hi,

I noticed the "Mark as not Sold" option is now available. I should note that I saw this option available when looking at *someone else's profile*. I didn't dare click on the link as that could mess up that person's ad. I thought I should point that out. Hopefully the site will only mark the ad when the actual owner of the ad clicks on that link and not for anyone else!

Eric

May 31, 2018 03:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

September 2, 2018 07:56 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

First try at a DSO with an uncooled CMOS Camera

Posted By Enrico Africa

This is my first try with an uncooled CMOS camera. I bought a ZWO ASI224MC a couple of years ago as I was intrigued by the images produced by this camera. I finally got around last night to try this camera out from my backyard. I've been using CCD's for DSO imaging for over a decade now and have been used to 10-30 minutes of exposure, so this was a most interesting experiment.

This is 21 images of 30-second exposures and 6 30-second darks. No flats or guiding, natural dithering from slight polar misalignment. The camera used was the aforementioned ASI224MC; scope is an AP130 EDFGT on an AP1200GTO mount. Images captured and preprocessed in Maxim, final processing in Photoshop CS5 with GradientXterminator and Carboni Actions. Shot from my light-polluted backyard under hazy, humid skies (red zone according to the CSC, but it feels like a white zone to me).

I'm impressed for sure.

Eric

September 7, 2018 04:02 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

September 8, 2018 05:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Posted By Enrico Africa

Thanks, Carl! I bought this camera primarily for planetary imaging, but also because I saw a lot of really nice images taken of DSO's with this scope. I had hoped to try it for that purpose someday, I'm glad I finally got around to trying. And yes, I like what I'm seeing!

Eric

November 1, 2018 04:22 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Posted By Enrico Africa

Hi Ken!

Thanks for the feedback! With respect to your question, ummmm.... someday? smile

Eric

October 21, 2019 04:42 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC 891 The Silver Sliver Galaxy

Posted By Enrico Africa

I like the second version better! Nice job!

Eric