Captured by
Ron Masters

Mars Moon Conjunction 1-30-2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tim Skoraszewski

January 10, 2021 10:23 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Finder Scope?

Posted By Tim Skoraszewski

Apologies if this is a repeated thread, and please redirect me if that's the case. I purchased a C8 ota from a member here but there isn't a finder scope, there's a Celestron piggyback bolted on and I have a Nikon D5200. Can I slap that sucker on there and use it as a finder scope or would it make sense to just buy a finder scope?

Or am I just stupid and don't know what I'm asking?

March 14, 2021 11:30 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Finder Scope?

Posted By Tim Skoraszewski

Hello friend,
I forgot I posted this until I saw your response. I bought a MOA tactical sight and custom fabbed a mounting plate with kydex and a 2" picatinny rail. The stock Celestron red dot sight sucked. I feel like I looked at it sideways a few times and the scope would be completely out of alignment. I was able to match up a Celestron polar finder scope with the ES Firstlight mount that I bought so in a week or I should have a functional ploar finder, I have a little work to do there but it does fit.

The MOA sight is nice beacuse you can switch between concentric circles and five levels of brightness and red or green. Its pretty lightweight so I'm hoping it'll work out. Thanks for input in my journey!

I'll still be plopping the Nikon on the piggyback from time to time, grabbed a 24mm prime for it, but I'm getting decently skilled at balancing.