My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Gerry Stowe

September 2, 2004 11:55 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Ramps for 25" dob

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I recently purchased a 25" f-f dob....Had to pick up a van(Odyssey) to haul it around. My question is this....I'm looking for ideas that work well for a ramp type system to get it into and out of my Honda. Any one out there that can give me ideas? Something already made up and readily buyable,doesn't take much room for storing in the van or just something easy to make from available materials. Thanks,Gerry

March 1, 2007 10:40 PM Forum: After Dark

Bolide/space debris over Los angeles Area?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Anybody see a bolide or space debris over the Los Angeles area around 08:25 PM Thursday night? I was in Laguna Hills and was looking north. It started with a tail under the little dipper. Very bright....then tail disapeared and it kept heading lower towards Pisces as a very,very bright, white, fireball. Maybe not space debris because it didn't have any color to it?

October 10, 2007 07:43 PM Forum: Star Parties

Sentinel Arizona site

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi all....Weather is looking bad for the west coast and was wondering where in the Forums to post this request. This forum seemed best so here goes. I was planning on going to CalStar but weather looks bad so I was thinking of trying any good site in So. Arizona. I was looking at the Saguaro Astro Society's site and saw they sometimes go to a remote site just S. of Sentinel(Sentinel is E. of Yuma and SW of Phoenix). If anyone has been there is it a safe site to be at for two people? Also anyone else thinking of any S. Arizona site for this coming weekend. I have Thursday-Saturday nites free.
thanks...Gerry

November 2, 2007 02:07 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Little known gems in the night sky.

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I'm running out of new things to look at and thought I could tap into the expertise of all of us in the Deep Sky Observing forum. Maybe some of us can list a few of our favorite deep-sky gems that are off the beaten path....such as one of mine which I recently came across...Humason 1-2. Just a little planetary nebula up in Cygnus, but when you jack the powers way up, 400+ pwr, seeing conditions permitting, it takes on a "Z" shape...way cool. See this link....http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html.
Another one is NGC-1999, right under the Great Orion nebula. Again use high powers and it helps to have larger aperture scopes. The center dark splotch looks exactly like a sideways mantle clock, or a squashed keyhole.
Gerry

December 15, 2007 09:14 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Meade 18mm UWA series 5000 question.

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi all....I recently acquired a used Meade 18mm UWA series 5000 eyepiece and am wondering if it has a problem. Two things: First is that it's action is loose, by that I mean it's twist up-down action has about 2-3mm play. Second it segulls badly in my 4.5 Dobsonian in the outer 50% of the field of view. Is this normal? Thanks for any input. By the way it's gonna be up for sale at a good price if any one is interested. Thanks, Gerry

February 11, 2008 05:22 PM Forum: Reflectors

Tube or Truss style for best images?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi to all. I just purchased a 13" mirror and want to know which type of Dob. style scope to mount it in. A tube or truss assembly? What are the down falls as far as getting the very best images from each style? It will be easier for me to do it as a tube Dob...but know tube currents can affect the final image. A truss style has more area inside and I wonder how that changes the image compared to a solid tube? Also if I use a tube I understand it should have enough space around the primary mirror so what's the best match for my 13" mirror? thanks in advance. If it's a truss what's the best size for the inside diameter of the secondary cage? Gerry

February 12, 2008 06:29 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Tube or Truss style for best images?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi to all. I just purchased a very nice 13" f-5.6 mirror and want to know which type of Dob. scope to mount it in. A tube or truss assembly? What are the down falls as far as getting the very BEST images from each style? It will be easier for me to do it as a tube Dob...but I know tube currents can affect the final image. A truss style has more area inside and I wonder how that changes the image compared to a solid tube? Also if I use a tube I understand it should have enough space around the primary mirror so what's the best match for my 13" mirror? thanks in advance. If it's a truss what's the best size for the inside diameter of the secondary cage? Again,I'm only interested in performance of the mirror in each style. Gerry

February 18, 2008 04:01 PM Forum: Telescope Making

13" mirror, 9 or 6 point cell?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I have a 13" dia., 1.5" thick mirror and want to support it correctly. What cell should I use? A 9 point or a 6 point cell? Also who sells them as I believe Novak cells are no longer being made. This would be to support my 13" mirror in a 16" I.D. tube? Thanks, Gerry

April 21, 2008 12:40 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Cactus at night....

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Shot at night of a rabbits foot cactus bloom? Not sure which type of cactus it is but was told by a friend when it blooms, the flowers, before they open up, look like a rabbits foot.

May 6, 2008 05:07 PM Forum: Comets

Re: Boattini ?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Jim, yes, it looked real nice Fri night out in the California desert when the clouds went away. Could see a small core just very slightly offset from the coma, but then again this was through an Obsession 25". It was real close to the Antenna interacting galaxy pair, NGC-4038,39...which also looked great with some mottling evident in both galaxies. It should be bright enough for almost any scope if you get to a dark enough site. Gerry