ATWB Customer Gallery

M3 Globular Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Gerry Stowe

August 14, 2008 04:52 PM Forum: Star Parties

Observing site in NY in Rockland County?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi, I'm going to be visiting the NY area near Rockland and Orange county and wanted to find a dark and safe site to observe. I plan on being there Oct 1-3. I emailed the Rockland Astronomy club but the website administrator wasn't much help. I want to test a 12" scope with a very nice refigured mirror.
I heard the Palisades Interstate Park has some areas...is this true, for any casual single person, or only for groups with a permit? Any other sites near here? Thanks for any info you can provide. Gerry

June 22, 2009 01:47 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Repair of defective lens element 8.8 Meade UWA

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Does anyone know who or where I can send a lens to from an eyepiece that seems to have a defect due to the cement starting to degrade? It's the top lens of an Meade Series 4000 8.8mm eyepiece. Are doublet type lens's repairable? Or where can I get a new lens for this eyepiece(good luck,right?) Thanks, Gerry

March 3, 2010 03:05 AM Forum: Meade

Magellan II question

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi, I recently acquired a Meade Magellan II hand controller. No cables, no user manual, no encoders etc. Can this be used with any scope with encoders? Or does it only hook up into the control panel of a Meade scope? Thanks for any input offered. Gerry

March 26, 2010 09:19 PM Forum: Celestron

C-90 focusing anomaly

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Hi guys....I have the older black C-90. The focusing on it, as you know, is by turning the front housing. The front half fits loosely in it's threads and causes a focus shift problem. When focusing, while scope is level, if you apply reward pressure and focus when you let go it falls forward slightly and now the focus is off. If you allow this falling forward to stay there and apply slight forward pressure and focus it will stay in focus till you tilt the scope way up. At a 45 degree angle or higher it stays to the rear. Is there a fix for this problem or do all of the older C-90's have this? Or is there something missing like a retaining spring to keep the front half with a tight fit? Thanks, Gerry

April 18, 2010 12:52 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Microscope Collimation of binocular eyepieces

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Just picked up a binocular microscope, Celestron model 4060. The eyepieces are a little bit out of collimation. Anyone know where I can get some info on this model for collimating it? Thanks, Gerry.

January 10, 2011 08:18 PM Forum: Refractors

Unitron 3" collimation?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I have a question....is a Unitron model 140 3" cell collimatable? It has 6 screws holding in the two elements. Three flat head ones and three allens. Can't figure out how they would work. Are there any instructions available if this is a collimatable cell? Anyone ever done this? Thanks, Gerry

August 16, 2011 05:52 PM Forum: Meade

LXD55 AR5 ...no 497 Autostar hand controller

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Have a question for you guys. I have an AR5 LXD55 that doesn't have the hand controller. I put 12v to the control panel and the red light comes on but I don't hear any motors running. My guess is that in order for the RA motor to start it needs the 497 Autostar hand controller. Let me know how this all works. Any one have an extra 497 they want to sell? Thanks, Gerry

February 10, 2012 11:54 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Nagler T2 question

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Yes, I guess there were some made in Japan...I have one that says "Japan" on the chrome barrel.
Gerry

July 29, 2013 04:50 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Mirror blank.....what is this material?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I recently picked up a blank. Owner said it was his dads and it was way old. It doesn't look like Pyrex. It has a light brown/yellowish tint to it. Can anyone tell me what type of glass this is? Thanks,Gerry

May 11, 2015 06:03 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

how to remove a given rating that went to wrong person

Posted By Gerry Stowe

I had two people with the same first name. I screwed up and rated the wrong guy. How can I remove the wrong rating. The person I rated wrongly did not have any ratings so this was going to be his first and I dont think this is fair for any subsequent astromarter dealing with him as it may give the wrong impression. I did go back and rate the correct person. Please let me know....thanks a bunch.
Gerry