ATWB Customer Gallery

M3 Globular Cluster

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Gerry Stowe

September 11, 2008 10:47 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Anyone getting ready for the Metis occultation?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Wow....thanks for this nugget....If skis are clear and time isn't too late I'll check it out here in San Pedro Ca.....Gerry

September 11, 2008 11:08 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Ken....I couldn't get into the IOTA site as you have to be a member but found this site very useful, with all the info.......
http://www.asteroidoccultation.com/asteroid.htm

September 11, 2008 01:52 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Ken....Just checked where it'd be in the sky for San Pedro,Calif. and it's low in the East....right in the light pollution from Long Beach from where I'll be....Aw heck!

October 18, 2008 09:56 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

"Our Vanishing Night" in National Geographic

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Thanks Linton....very interesting article. Last Nov. I was passing thru Flagstaff and decided to check out how much one could actually see there. It was great...we were able to see the milky way, right in the city! I loved it. Hopefully more city and town governments will adopt a better attitude concerning outdoor lighting. In the end we will all benefit.

June 28, 2009 02:47 PM Forum: Reflectors

Collimation hell with a Meade Lightbridge

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Stephen, Here's a real good article on how to start and finish the collimation process. It all starts at the top with the secondary ...positioning,turning,tilting....then lastly ends with the primary.
http://www.adur-astronomical.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm
Good luck, Gerry

January 18, 2010 11:32 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Mars Januari 17, 2010 - Hawaii

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Thanks for your pics of Mars. I was hoping someone would keep us up to date as to how it's been looking. I've been checking it out visually with a C-8 and 12" Dob but your images really show what I was only getting hints of seeing smile

January 11, 2011 10:49 AM Forum: Refractors

Unitron 3" collimation?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Think I found the answer in the Unitron Yahoo groups. This isn't a collimatable cell. Only sometime after 1970 did they come with the adjustable cell. They did have a good write up on collimating any refractor. I adjusted, as much as I could, the focuser using a laser shining at the front cell.

August 9, 2011 11:42 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Celestron Classic C8 power cord...time to update

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Neil....try Scope stuff...see this link for that old style cord.
Gerry

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_pcos.htm

October 31, 2011 11:41 PM Forum: Celestron

C14 Lift

Posted By Gerry Stowe

David....I have a C-14 and the old fork mount. I am 5'8" and weigh 150# ...I can mount it on the fork asm...not impossible(ha,ha) and is douable but not super easy. I also have tried mounting it on a G11 and it's not as bad because you don't have to lift as high. Gerry

November 7, 2011 12:22 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Coyote with C- 90

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Harry....great shot....what camera did you use and how was it attached(if at all) to the C-90. I'd like to attach my small digital Canon A710 to my C-90 but am not sure it can be done. Gerry