My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Gerry Stowe

January 30, 2012 10:17 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Have I/we been had?

Posted By Gerry Stowe

No you haven't been had. As I understand all the older Lumicon filters weren't marked. I have seen about 7 of them, UHC, O-III and Deep Sky's that didn't have any markings at all on the edge.....can't tell really what one you have unless you use em and compare thru a scope while looking at an object. I know there's other ways to test to tell what you have but am not sure what the test is but think it uses a spectrometer.

February 8, 2012 12:37 AM Forum: Telescope Making

16" mirror blank

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Joe,
My girlfriend and I took a class at the local college. The instructor told us at the beginning that the easiest and fastest way to make a larger mirror is to make a 6" f-8/f-9 mirror first. Once you have developed skills and gained experience it will be easier for you to understand how to make a larger faster f-ratio mirror. This worked very well for us when I made my 12" f-5 and she made her 10" f-6 mirror. They both came out great. Another guy made his 6" f-9 mirror and the next semester went on to make a 16" f-4.5 mirror that also came out great. (Any other input on this from other ATM'rs?) Good luck with your project. Gerry

May 1, 2012 07:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Markarian Chain

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Very nice Floyd, great image. I wondered about the detail you got in one of the galaxies....so went looking and found this link that describes it all. I found out the galaxy was 4438. Along with 4435 it's called Copeland's eyes. I learned something new, thanks! Here's a link that's got lots of info....
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1779

May 1, 2012 08:10 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M-13 first cluster in years!

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Another winner! Great shot...I can even see detail in the NGC and IC nearby. That little IC is hard to see visually (20"scope with my eyes)...I can see in your image that there's a little star at one tip...now I know if I ever see both the galaxy and the star the seeing is real good and the skies are dark.
Gerry

July 5, 2012 12:42 AM Forum: LUNATICS

Visually Challenging Lunar Targets

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Lots of great challenges...how about how many of the Davy Craterlet chain (Catena Davy)can you see? Or an easier one...Hesodius A, a neat bullseye crater. Gerry

January 14, 2013 12:54 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Last Night At Mt Pinos

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Rod....thanks for the report. Kinda like a vicarious astro outing. Nice to have a review of some equipment.
Gerry

July 6, 2013 05:28 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

NGC 4762

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Rod....this was the highlight of the night while up at Pinos. I showed it to a few other astronomers and all agreed it was a "keeper" for an observing list. I had a 20" f-5 dob...I liked that the starlike core along with the three flanking stars made a thin diamond shape. The thin arms of the galaxy coming together at the center in the bulge with an accentuated core was most impressive to look at....Thanks for the tip!

June 21, 2019 05:33 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Pop up..."Need help?"

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Is it just me....or is everyone getting a new pop up on every page...says..."Need help? Click to contact us!" Pain in the butt.
Thanks for any info as this just happens in Astromart and not in any other page I have up.

June 21, 2019 04:58 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Pop up..."Need help?"

Posted By Gerry Stowe

Greg...
This morning it has gone away. I sent a msg to Herb last night so maybe he fixed it.
On my cell phone it was actually blocking a portion of my screen and was frustrating to see the content there.