My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Marc Whitsett

October 14, 2007 05:46 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Focus with Filter Wheel

Posted By Marc Whitsett

Just wondering, am I the only one that is unable to get to focus with an Orion XT10 DOB (old rack and pinion focuser) and with a TeleVue 102 with the new Orion 5- Filter wheel (same as the Altik)...it requires 19 mm of focus travel, and I thought I had that, but can't get to focus in either using just a few EPs...is it eyepiece dependent (should I try all my EP's?) befiore sending back?..

thanks.

marc whitsett

November 3, 2007 05:12 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Mounted (Green) Laser Pointers and the Cold

Posted By Marc Whitsett

I own 4 medium priced $80-$120 green laser pointers. All use AAA batteries (my choice for ease of replacement), but all do poorly in the cold.

Any tricks to maintain their use as mounted pointers without swapping out the batteries every 30 minutes in the cold? Do the Lithium ion batteries do better in this respect? Any other thoughts? Get a better laser? I need one with a constant on (not toggle) switch. Are there models that excel in this respect?

Thanks.

Marc Whitsett
Cincinnati, Ohio

April 11, 2008 11:45 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Not getting Email on New Ads since 4.10.08 4 PM ES

Posted By Marc Whitsett

Herb:

I have not received any email notifications since yesterday 4-10-08 at around 4 PM. Anything up with that?

Marc Whitsett

July 10, 2008 12:49 AM Forum: Eyepieces

2 inch eyepieces?

Posted By Marc Whitsett

I have a TV 102 and a 10" dob that I use for telescoping. I have a reasonable 1.25 inch collection of EPs from 40 mm to 5 mm, which I am pretty happy with. Pentax and TV, Naglers/ Pans. I also have a single 2 inch TV 35 mm Panoptic, but it doesn't get used much since I have all those 1.25 inch eps.

I plan to get the 8 and 13 mm Ethos when I win the lotto, which is any day now.

Question 1: is the FOV the same using the 8/13 Ethos 1.25" versus 2" (what's the difference in use?)

Question 2: what other 2 inch ep would be a good fit between the 13 mm and 35 mm Panoptic? Or should I just get a Powermate and be done with it? Thoughts appreciated. Am stuck on this 2 inch EP thing...is it worth the $$ and hassle?

Thank.

Marc

October 12, 2008 05:15 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Polar Scopes...right forum?

Posted By Marc Whitsett

I want to get a G11 for a C9.25...(have been advised not to get the fork mount which I am still considering)...whatever...
The polar scope made by Losmandy sounds terrible other than it fits the G11.

I have mag 3.5-4 north skies...I can see Polaris, but not much else in the north (good south skies), so alignment appears a bit iffy on some but maybe not all nights.

Thoughts? Or to another forum?

Thanks.

Marc

November 4, 2008 01:53 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Email notification not being received...

Posted By Marc Whitsett

Don't know where else to turn on this one.

I suspect my local Internet provider (Time Warner Cable/ Roadrunner) has decided to block Astromart email notifications, so I no longer get them. Any one else with this issue? If so, resolution?

Thanks.

Marc Whitsett

November 12, 2008 09:36 PM Forum: Eyepieces

EP condition : Terms of Sale and Ratings

Posted By Marc Whitsett

Question:

Can anyone define the EP rating system:

-Excellent
-Very good
-Good
-Fair
-Poor?

I just purchased a TV EP Advertised as follows:

"Nice eyepiece in vg condition. It's been normally used. However, the glass is Very good.
Comes with Original box and two caps."

The price was discounted average.

The EP appears to have been dropped with chips in the side as pictured. The glass does seem OK.

How does one rate such an EP? Is this "vg"? Or should this be advertised as: "Has 2 side chips." or something similar?

I would feel uncomfortable trying to resell with a similar advertisement, and as such I worry I won't get much for it on resale. I may send back to the seller as it was just received. Looking for what is "vg" in an EP sale!

Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Marc

November 28, 2008 01:11 AM Forum: Celestron

Celestron c 9.25 Carbon Fiber

Posted By Marc Whitsett

No one on this forum of late...but in case someone looks...I have a question.

Are they still making the carbon fiber version of the C 9.25? (I think not, but just checking).

Was / is there any advantage/ disadvantage to the carbon fiber OTA over the standard aluminum tube that is currently being sold?

If there is an advantage, any after maket carbon fiber OTA's being made?

Thanks.

Marc Whitsett
Cincinnati, OH

November 28, 2008 11:31 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Where can I get foam for my case?

Posted By Marc Whitsett

I am trying to locate some Polyurethane Foam that goes in the eyepiece/ telescope cases so I can custom make a case for my eyepieces. Ethafoam would be OK,. I just need a block of it to shape and cut out.

I can't believe: I can't find any retail outlet that carries the stuff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Marc

January 13, 2009 05:39 PM Forum: Mounts

CGEM Computerized Mount : Looking for User Experie

Posted By Marc Whitsett

This looks like the beast I want...any one had a look at this item yet, the CGEM Computerized Mount? Am contemplating with the C9.25 OTA for visual and possibly imaging purposes. Thoughts appreciated.